1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Care of Broiler Roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hooligan, Jan 11, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    So I had 8 chickens added to my flock yesterday. They were rescued from a chicken factory farm house. They all appear to be roos and about 6 wks old or less. They were about to be shipped for slaughter so might be as young as 40 days.
    One has a URI and I have him on antibiotics and the others I am going to give wormer just incase.
    I obviously do not plan on killing them so I would like to know anyones experience on here with their care. I know they have health problems and usually do not live long but I want to make them happy and comfortable for the time they are with me.
    Oh yes and they are 5+lbs right now.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Restricting their feed is the first place to start. If you can keep them on the smaller side it helps avoid leg problems and heart problems, or at least delays the onset.

Others can post here that have actually raised these guys longer than the 8 wks or so to processing age.

Good luck with them.

3. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hooligan you rule!
    i don't have any practical advice - i just wanted to say a little cheer for you.
    thanks for helping these roos.

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ok, now we have two in the house with URIs...poor guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by