Care Of Button Quail ... :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, May 14, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'm getting some button quail in a few days ... and I need to know how to care for them. I maybe getting chicks, or adults, or both, don't know yet. Thanks for the input. [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Will Love Him, And Hug Him, And Feed Him, And Call Him George! [​IMG]

Seriously Tho.... Just As You Would Any Other Quail. Secure Environment, Good Quality Gamebird Feed, And Fresh Water.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Do they have to have gamebird feed? Because our feedstores don't carry that. None, of them do. [​IMG] Could they eat .. chick starter?

4. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a Tractor Supply nearby anywhere? They have MannaPro gamebird feed.

I don't believe that quail can not have a medicated chick feed. Your wee quail will need any crumbled feed crushed even more so that they can ingest it. Provide a nice, soft bed...no newspapers or wire grates.

You might like to do a search on this forum for button quail and you'll get some nice advice! [​IMG]

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Nope, no chick started thats medicated. You can ask the feed store if there is any way they can order it for you. You can find it online at tractorsupply.com or at your nearest tractor supply store. They cannot have medicated food for chickens though. I hear its very very very bad for them. We use a medium sized dog kennel (the open wire kind) that is carefully covered with screen wire that is sewed on it. Its nice and big so they dont "bonk" and they enjoy the space as well. I suggest wood shavings for the base and a quail waterer that can also be found at tractor supply. They love places to hide and they cannot live in a wire bottom cage, their feet are far too sensitive. Good luck, you'll love em!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I don't buy medicated chickstarter. I do have a local TSC near by, I could see next week when we're in town. Are you sure that carry it?
    So they need wood shavings? I bought abunch of small feeders/ waterers today. I'll have to put marbles in them, though.

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Get yourself a big box....some shavings...a chick feeder...quail water base and quart waterer.....and a 250 watt red heatlamp...and lamp. All of these items can be bought at TSC...box should be free just ask if they have any in the back. If they are anything like my store...we always have boxes.

Also a 20-24% chick or gamebird starter is what you need. Not sure what brand your TSC carries we have Dumour and Purina.
    Good Luck feel free to pm me if you have any questions...I don't raise button quail but have hatched out a few hundred Coturnix and Bobwhite over the years.
    [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I bought a new heap lamp today. And a small chick feeder and waterer. I don't have shavings yet. I have a plastic box with wire on the top were I put the lamp. It gets really warm in there, and is big enough for alot of buttons. [​IMG] My TSC carrys Dumor and Purina.

Last edited: May 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by