Care of chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Songster

Apr 14, 2007
    It's been 30 yrs since I had chickens. I only had them for 1 summer and we had to move so, I really know nothing about the proper care of them.

Could you all share your tips for keeping your birds happy and healthy??

Such as what do you do daily? Weekly? Monthly? Annually?

How often do you worm & what do you use?
    Cut nails, with what and how to do it properly?
    Mites or other pests?
    Do you add vitamins, minerals, etc in winter or when the birds can't be outside? Where di tiy buy these items?

I know that I am not the only one on here that is new to chickens and I think it would be a great help for all of us.

I know that so many chicken owners (like beekeepers, breeders of dogs, cats, or other livestock) have different ways of caring for their birds and I would love lots of different opinions and ideas so we can find our own systems!

Thank you for any and all help, ideas, opinions and sources..Dixie

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Songster

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Hi Dixiedoodle, and welcome. [​IMG]

I too am new to chickens, having just some scant knowledge I learned from my farmer sister. There is TONS of information on this site. Use the search feature, and check out categories in the forum for less specific questions. If you can't find what you're looking for, the pros here will be happy to answer your questions. I'm amazed at how much I've learned already!

[​IMG]

3. ncgnance

ncgnance Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Hi, Dixie, and welcome to BYC. There is a ton of info on this site, so take advantage of it. Also, there are lots of books out there about chickens, especially at places like Southern States and Tractor Supply. My advice is to get a really good book on raising chickens to keep it close at hand. Any questions you can't find an answer for can be found here. Lots of knowledge, and the people here are very friendly.

4. ManOfTheJerseyGiant

ManOfTheJerseyGiant In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    Henderson NC
    Hey and welcome to this learning adventure,

I keep mine in a pen big enough so they have extra room.
    I feed them a mix of scratch,Dumop starter/grower crumbles and black oil sunflower seeds.

If they are laying I feed them Dumor poultry layer crumbles, black oil sun flower seeds,and a little scratch.

In the nest boxes I use straw. Never use cedar shavings because it is posines.

If we have posta I give them the left overs from that. (they love it) Yogurt is another treat that they love especialy vanilla. Make it is has Active Cultures on it. That helps clean the digestivive system. If it is cold I give them oatmell raw/cooked dosen`t matter.

Keep the water clean. It is starting to get green clean it like a dish.(soap and water)

With Chicks I try to get medicated food if I can.
    Keep the temperture up.
    Keep them on paper towels for like 2-5 days, if they are alone. If a hen hatches them let them stay on the ground or on the floor of the brooder.
    Also for day old chicks put a 1-3 teaspoons to a gallon of water.

If you need anymore help ask us some more

5. bluerose

bluerose Songster

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Daily: fill food, check water, gather eggs. Let hens out of coop and into run in the morning, put them in at night. Throw them scratch or weeds. During summer (when their coop isn't bedded, just dirt) rake coop.

Every third day: scrape droppings off of roost.

Weekly: rake run. During winter, toss and add more bedding in coop.

As needed: scrub coop, replace nesting material.

I don't cut nails... the girls run around in the dirt enough to wear them down themselves. A good chicken feed has all the vits/mins needed for good growth and laying.

Pests (and diseases) I combat by having a clean coop with lots of airflow and hens who get lots of time outside in a clean run and free-range on untreated land. Not a guarantee of health by any means, but they don't hang around in bacteria all day, get exposed to chemicals, or breathe in fumes. I also keep their food in metal trash cans, so no bugs get in.

I don't worm, not yet at least. The girls are less than a year old still. I probably should but I really don't like doing chemicals if I can avoid it, and so far all of them are active and healthy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: