care of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crabby Chicken, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Crabby Chicken

Crabby Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    caring and keeping eggs

now that i am getting 5-6 eggs a day....how do i care and keep the eggs....i have been taking from coop and putting in the fridge and when im up to about 2 dozen i clean them in an egg cleaner and then package them.....how long will they keep? do they need to go directly into the fridge after they are pulled or can they stay at room temp( cool basement) for a few days? any help would be appreciated...thanks

2. j_morgan76

j_morgan76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Titusville, FL
    I wondering the same thing. We got our first egg today and it had been 24 hrs since I checked the coop last. So the egg could of been there for 24 hrs. Is it still safe to eat? How long will they stay good?

3. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    From what I have learned here, the fresh eggs should be good for several weeks at room temp on your counter. They will last longer in the frig if you are putting them straight away in there. I'm not sure why you would wash them because again, from what I have learned, the egg has a coating called a "bloom" which protects it from bacteria and other things getting into it. When you wash it, you remove that bloom. Washed eggs would definitely need to go into a frig and I don't know how long they would be good for. However, I also understand that the eggs you buy in the store are already a week or more old by the time you buy them and they have been washed, so again, because they are kept refrigerated, the eggs are good for several weeks.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't wash them and I would let them stay at room temp. I have a bowl I keep my in on my counter, (almost like a decoration in my kitchen)[​IMG]

4. Crabby Chicken

Crabby Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    i was washing them to get the poop off...thats not very appetizing...and other dirt and feathers and such..didnt know about the coating on the egg..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by