1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Careers in poultry or other birds?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by DragonClaw01, Mar 7, 2016.

1. DragonClaw01

DragonClaw01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm a college student going to SFA. Right now my major is Computer Science, I was thinking of a minor in Poultry Science.

What careers could I have while sustaining a flock of birds and still make 5 figures?

I can't work for Tyson or any of that (plus I don't like them )

I love birds so much. So much. Chickens and my flock are great. I'd never give them up.

But I want the money to fund my hobbies and still have them.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    There are quite a few jobs in the poultry industry in anything from nutrition, pharmaceuticals, genetics, management, processing, medicine, among a host of other opportunities. Your best bet is to look and see if any of the companies you are interested in has internships. That is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Also, pick the brains of your poultry science professors! They should know people in the industry that can help you figure out if poultry science is a good fit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by