Carefresh Pet Bedding ~ Safe for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Honey1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Is Carefresh pet bedding safe for chicks? I just picked some up today for my brooder, now I'm wondering if I should use something else?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't know what that is, can you post a pi of it

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I tried this stuff and it didn't hurt my chicks but it really was a pain in the butt. I liked the pine shaving 1,000 times better

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Oh no I would use; pine shavings, corn cobs, or peat moss

5. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    I almost used some Carefresh (we also have a rabbit) but opted for hay (again bought for the rabbit). I don't think the Carefresh would hurt, it's biodegradable and safe for rabbit's to eat).

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I remember asking about carefresh here a long time ago - gosh, has it been that long since I was new to BYC?
    Some people said it was what they used and it was fine. I ended up using a plastic wading pool for a brooder and carefresh was too expensive to fill that up with, so I went with pine instead.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I work at Petco and in the small animal dept. It's safe for all your critters, except maybe snakes.
    When I first had Tom and Jerry, when chicks were still dinosaurs, I used carefresh, shredded paper and just a touch of cedar chips in their outside rabbit hutch/chicken coop.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Actually it's the only bedding I ever used for my ball python Dixie and it worked well for her cage. [​IMG]

9. KristenF87

KristenF87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Gainesville
    Carefresh is pretty pricey... We considered it for our brooder but ended up buying Aspen shavings instead (it's a little cheaper and supposedly non-aromatic)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by