Caring cockerel!

viacky

Chirping
My silky hen and cockerel have had a chick. The chick is doing great, growing well, and the hen is a great mum, teaching and protecting the little one. They're now in the main coop area, and still doing well. The cockerel has taken up residence with them in their coop, and helps keep the chick warm overnight. What amazes me is that he also nurtures the chick during the day, allowing it to shelter underneath him and generally spending a lot of time with it. Sometimes the chick even follows him over its mum!

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with motherly cockerels!

My Silkie roosters do that too, its the sweetest thing :love

Hang onto that little guy, most chicken keepers aren't fortunate enough to have such a gentleman when it comes to their roos :)

I've never had a cock bird brood, but I've seen threads on it here on BYC. I do have adult males that help care for the chicks as far as finding food or protecting from the other mature hens in the flock. My males are always very attentive to chicks of both genders, and to the broody momma.

It's very sweet, all right. It's natural in some roosters, not all, to help the hen nurture the chicks in the ways you describe. Centrarchid describes in some postings a "family unit" where the rooster co-cares for the chicks. I think it probably happens more often with Silkies than standard breeds.

Awwww that is too sweet!!! I have a bantam rooster that is quite a gentleman as well, they are few and far between, you need to keep that fella!! And maybe give him a few extra table scraps for being such a sweetie
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom