Caring for 1 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Margy1, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Margy1

Margy1 Chirping

Jul 30, 2014
    We just got 4 chicks on Saturday, they are 1 week old today! Should we be giving them grit this early? They are eating Dumor chick starter/grower. We have grit that we have been giving to our older chicken (we found her a few weeks ago fell in love and just had to get more). Also, I keep seeing all these posts on giving your chicks treats, I would love to give the babies some kind of treat! What would be a good treat for 1 week old chicks? Any advice you can give on raising chicks would be appreciated, we are both very new to chickens. Thank You!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Hi, If you are feeding a store bought commercial feed, be it starter, grower, layer etc., you do not need grit. The feed will digest on its own. But once you start with grass, bugs, and or other treats, then you should offer some small grit to them. I usually start mine at about 2 weeks or so.

So depending on what you wish to do, you can add it or not.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Welcome to BYC as well!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Songster

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Well, there are a few treats that do not require grit. Mashed up hard boiled eggs and yogurt are a couple. I gave those treats to my chicks when they were about a week old. If you want to give your chicks other treats (such as fruits and veggies) they need grit. I would wait a couple more weeks before you give them treats that need grit. But when they get to that age, you should take the grit that you feed to your older chicken and crush it up a little more to make the grit pieces smaller and easier for the chicks to swallow. Or you can just go outside and pick up a handful of dirt. That will work as good grit for chicks too.

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Sorry, forgot to note a treat I like to offer. I have become fond of feeding mealworms to the young birds. I use the dried ones, Happy Hen Treats is one maker of such. Amazon is a good place to get them at a better price. And I feed live crickets, the little ones, to get them to thinking about eating things that move. Without a mother hen to show and or teach them, you are left with this task. It is a ton of fun, or so i think. They will peck, just a bit too slow and take a time or two until they 'get' it. From then on out it is just one big party.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

5. Margy1

Margy1 Chirping

Jul 30, 2014
    The chicks have been outside in a little area for about ten minutes twice now, they ate some little bugs and grass, but it was also in an area with dirt so I would guess that would mean they were okay and wouldn't need any grit?? I will look into that I think the TSC has them.Thank You for the ideas! :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  6. Margy1

Margy1 Chirping

Jul 30, 2014
    I have seen a few posts were people say they give them hard boiled eggs and yogurt, I will try that, I bet they'll love it! I do feel like i'm feeding my chicks chicks though by doing that..Lol.. I will try it though! Would our older chicken like that, we were told she looks to be about 11 or 12 weeks? Thanks:)

7. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Songster

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Oh yeah, your older chicken will love those treats. Whatever I gave my chickens as chicks, I still give them now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: