Caring for a goose with angel wings?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cochins1088, Oct 18, 2013.

1. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Gooser is a 5 month old sebastopol gander and he has had angel wings for the past 3 months. When he first developed it, I kept his wings wrapped for a full week, but the day after I unwrapped them, they bowed out again. I than kept them wrapped for 2 full weeks, but the day after I unwrapped his wings, they bowed out once again. After that I gave up. His wings simply wouldn't keep straight and I had read that geese can live normal lives with angel wings.

The problem is that he's always breaking his wing feathers. His wings look like torn, bloody, messes. It's painful for him and I'm worried that he'll get an infection.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how have you dealt with it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think you can clip back their wings to help keep them from catching on things. just like clipping to keep the from flying. I clip like the top pic. and maybe get some Veterycin spray to keep on hand in case one does get bloody just use the spray.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806587/duck-wings-clipped-but-still-flying#post_11757538

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I don't think I can clip them. Since his wing feathers are always breaking, they are always re-growing. His wings are almost completely composed of blood feathers.

I've been meaning to buy Veterycin spray for a while, I just never got around to it. I'll order a bottle today.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe once they grow back in you can clip and this will keep them from braking off so much. I think Veterycin is one of the best products on the market I use it on all my animals even used it on myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by