caring for day old chicks and muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DrakeJake, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    I'm getting my first brood of day old chicks march 7. I am so nervous and worried to do things right and have been searching online for all the articles pertaining to this. I've read so much about the importance of the right temp for them and the adjustments that need to be made as they grow. My question is how the heck do the hens do it in real life? the chicks are not contained in an area that has a specific heat setting as they run around with the hen outdoors. I am not questioning the importance of brood conditions under artificial control only confused in comparing it to a natural setting. I am also expecting my muscovy ducks will present me with my first clutch of ducklings at some point this spring, I will let parent naturally and see what happens.
    All answers are gratefully welcome.
    I have been trying to change my avatar and name without luck, in the event that I get lucky for those of you reading my avatar will be a muscovy duck and my name change will be "my drake is jake"

after posting this thread I see my avatar finally changed but I do not know how to change my name, could a moderator please help me change it to DrakeJake if it's not taken

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The "right temp" is only critical in small brooders (fish tanks, wash tubs, etc.) where the chicks can't move to a warmer or cooler area. The old fashioned way to do thigs was to use a large round metal contraption, sort of a low hood, with the heat source in the middle, and the edges open. Food and water were outside the metal brooder. Chicks could go under to get warm but had to check out other areas to eat and drink. I wish I had a pic of one of these. They would usually be used in a barn, in an enclosed area so the chicks wouldn't get caught outside their area. Pics always showed chicks scattered all over the place. I've had chicks raised by a broody when outside temps were in the 40's and 50's. Day old chicks would forage briefly, then run under mama to get warm, and repeat, all day long.

Sending you a PM about the name change.

3. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    oh thanks, i guess ive already been communicating with you about the name change, you must be my "personal moderator" ha ha. I did the search for the name and no one showed up so I guess it's good to go unless I didn't do my search in the right spot. Thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by