Caring for diabled chickens

Mollyj03

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2017
Hello everyone! Long story I have a rooster named Jack that lost his feet over this harsh New England weather. He is doing well getting around but he tumbles easily with the wind. Has anyone made prosthetics or shoes for their chicken? If so please share i'm looking for as much help as I can get! If anyone has a disable chicken please share pictures I would love to see your birds! I hope to get more disabled/special needs birds soon. They are such happy birds with great personalities! There isn't that much info out on the web.
Thanks BYC's!:):jumpy

I had a silkie that jumped in the hanging waterer overnight in winter and both its feet froze off. All I did was keep it in soft bedding, and then kept it in a Pet Gazebo that was easy to move around the farm multiple times a day. She got around perfect, and even ran to me when she wanted held/carried inside. Sadly she didn't live to her full life expectancy, but she was happy.
So unless you notice sores where Jack walks on his stubs, I don't think prosthetics are necessary. BUT they would be a good idea to protect the stubs if there's rough ground or cuts/sores, I've just never made any. Good luck with him, disabled and special needs chickens are wonderful :)

Back
Top Bottom