1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Caring for ducklings in fall/winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by murray08, Oct 2, 2015.

1. murray08

murray08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Hello all, I'm new to BYC and need some advice. I only have two hens and they both went broody at the same time. I got the idea to go ahead and put a few fertile duck eggs under them. I have a hatch day of October 10 and am thinking I made a huge mistake with winter coming! I think we all three had babies on the brain lol. Should I remove them as soon as they are hatched and move to a brooder? Let the girls take care of them? Let them live in the house all winter? Any advice to make sure the girls and babies are ok is appreciated!

2. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    I'm in upstate ny and currently have a clutch of 12 chicks with my broody. It was in the mid 30s this am and she had them out foraging! Broody Mamas are amazing. They'll make sure those babies are warm and you'll end up with heartier chicks/ducklings in the long run. You can always add a heat source in the coop if it really bothers you but I guarantee you'll be amazed how little they use it. What breed are your broodies and how many eggs do each have?

3. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    That's good news! I have a light brahma and a silkie. The brahma is the one sitting on the nest and the silkie keeps her company. She is on three pekin/runner cross eggs. I candled them Wednesday and all look good :) should I do anything special with their feed? I remove them off the nest once a day to take a break. Otherwise they they don't seem to be eating. They will take a 15 minute break or so and go back to their nesting box.

4. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    I think your duckies will have the best Mamas! Between the 2 I'm fairly positive they'll stay nice and warm. I feed mine the flock raiser so it meets everyone's needs (with oyster shell on the side). I've also been known to put the food and water within easy reach for my broodies just so they only have to get up to do their daily poo.

5. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    Aww thanks! Those two little girls are the sweetest hens. I keep food everywhere for them! Pellets, oyster shell, grit, scratch, snacks lol. Anything so I know they are eating. They are so young and lean I don't want them loosing anymore weight. thank you for your help and good luck with your little ones :) I'll try to post back here with an update

6. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Just wanted to send out good vibes for a successful hatch day tomorrow! Can't wait to see pics!

7. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    Thanks! I'm not too sure how it's going to go :-( . I don't see much activity when candling. One egg looks like fluid liquid, another has a giant air sac, and the last one is blue and I can't see much. My brahma is so committed and we all really wanted a couple babies for her but I don't think it will happen. Thanks for checking in though. So disappointing :-(

8. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Don't lose hope yet! Today is their due date, right? 28 days is just a ballpark, some take a day or two less, some a day or two more. The one with the huge air cell is possibly about ready to hatch, and who knows with the blue one. Just be patient and give them more time before giving up hope. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

9. cochinfan05

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    Absolutely! Just leave them be for a bit. you may be surprised.

10. murray08

Oct 2, 2015
    Thank you so much! I'm keeping the large air sac and blue one under her. The other one is obviously not right and I'm afraid it might explode. I'm giving it to at least Monday. She is such a determined mamma. If they don't hatch then I'm considering getting a couple babies to sneak under her. Poor thing has pulled out her breast feathers. Its sad if she goes through all of this effort and no babies! Not giving up yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by