Caring for feather footed birds

I don't. They get wet and nasty looking and they get dry again too. I've read on BYC of folks having a problem with their feather footed birds getting mud balls on their feet, but I haven't had that problem.
My birds are mainly on pasture, but they do like to play in the mud and dirt.
It's 58 degrees right now and there's a steady rain. My birds are out playing and foraging in it. Their feet will look awful later, but it doesn't seem to bother them and they will dry when they go to roost tonight.

Same here, my Light Brahma have never had foot issues. We have hard winters and they are out in the snow when they want to. I've never had to clean their feet.

Last edited:
Thanks. Mine is a D'uccle and I want her to be pretty, so I soaked her feet and used a blow dryer. Not much fun. It's good to know that I can do it if I feel like it but don't have to. I want some free range Brahmas and was beginning to think maybe not. That would be headache! lol

The biggest concern with feather footed breeds is that they can conceal injuries and parasites so be sure to check them over good once in a while. Scaley leg mites can easily go unnoticed.

As for cleaning... if you want your birds to be in excellent condition, keep them on shavings in the coop and white sand in the runs.

Quote:
I don't find it to be a headache and my brahmas free range. My roo has the most beautiful feathered feet and the only time they look bad is when it's wet outside. Soon as they dry again he's back to being Mr. Handsome.

How fast do foot feathers grow back?

The cochin we have was harrassed by a peacock at his old home (reason he was given to us) and the peacock plucked out about half his tail feathers and pecked off all his feet feathers. He has feather stubs coming in and then one of our hens pecked at those until his feet bled. Then it was revealed that he had scaly mite

Now that the pecking and mites are under control and with winter on the way, I was just curious how long it would take for the foot feathers to grow back. Some of his tail feathers are in.

Quote:
Protected from pecking and they should grow back pretty quickly. My roo is almost finished a complete molt. He's been molting for three weeks, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom