Caring for goslings - advice

mark-rfuqaehc

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2019
Hello all,

I am new to raising geese and caught a little by surprise today when 3 goslings hatched out of a nest of 4 eggs. I didn't expect them for another week. I must have been missed when the eggs came or miscalculated. I have been reading up on raising geese but still have a few specific questions;

1. I see some conflicting information on if I should let the mother goose take care of the goslings or separate from them her and raise them in their own enclosure. What is the general consensus here?

I am leaning towards leaving the goslings with the mother goose, but I want to make sure that the best care is provided for them.

The nest is under a bamboo floor on hard soil with some leaves. It's should be hot enough (being in Thailand, day temperature is around 36 deg C (97 F) with night temperature down to 20 deg C (68 deg F).

2. I have read that I can feed them chick feed the first period - placed flat on the ground or a towel and with a good supply of clean drinking water. Should I just place this next to the nest? The mother goose might be defensive and try to bite me.

The mother goose didn't leave the nest much while brooding. Maybe 1-2 times a week for some food and to defecate. She would usually make a loud noise and I would come and give her some food (even at 5am in the morning).

3. Any advice for a newbie to raising geese are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 47
Thank you - that was my conclusion also. I have placed food and water close by the nest. It's a single mum goose. The father is no longer around - will this be a problem for the mum?

By the end of the day, 5 eggs hatched. I don't think there are any more unhatched eggs left.

Do you have predator problems? If at all possible I’d put mom and goslings in an enclosed pen where they will be safe. Even dogs cats can be predators to goslings and mom on her own may need a little more help from you. Make sure also that the water source you give them isn’t deep enough one may climb In an drown . Welcome to BYC and congrats on the goslings. Adorable

Thank you for the answers! It's all going very well and I think I was just too worried. They are walking around, swimming, eating and drinking just fine with Mother goose looking after them.

Back
Top Bottom