caring for guineas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Its Just Us Chickens, May 25, 2010.

1. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    I now have 3 baby guinea [​IMG] They are 2 weeks old. This is my first time with guineas and with babies, so I don't have a nursery. What do I need to do, how get started? Right now I've got them in a box, in a warm room, about 85* with a bowl of water. What else? What do I feed them?

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I started mine with game bird starter; you can leave them on it for the first 6 months or so. Handle them every day, several times a day if you want them people friendly. They aren't as domesticated as chickens and can literally get up and fly away! For now, just keep them fed, watered and their bedding clean and love them every day.

3. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:Thanks! I didn't realize they weren't as domesticated as chickens. They're so sweet right now, we'll look forward to giving them love every day.

One of them has an injured leg, and the vet recommended we put egg shell foam inside the crate while his leg heals and I've been trying to figure out how to keep that clean.

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I used thick/fluffy paper towels with a thin layer of pine shavings (like you use for chicks) and that seemed to give my one day old (feeble) keets plenty of grip. I also used game bird starter, though they LOVE my organic chick starter which I give them as a treat at night (only in hopes of conditioning them to expect a treat at night and they will come home!) 2 weeks is a great age. Make sure you have a screen over the top of your brooder -- they will surprise you.[​IMG] Good luck!

5. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

And I guess we should move this convesation to guineafowl . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by