Caring for mailed eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goatsoap, Apr 27, 2011.

1. goatsoap

goatsoap Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Walnut Cove
    I have looked all over BYC and cannot find the answer. What is the best way to handle mailed eggs? Do you immediately put them in the incubator or let them set for a few hours or overnight, put them in the incubator but wait a few days before putting them on the turners? I just received two dozen eggs, and want a good hatch rate if possible. Have bought eggs twice and had 1/7 and then 1/12 hatch.

thanks

2. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I let my mailed eggs sit for 24 hours, point down, in an egg carton that's opened to rest, then I put them in the incubator that's warmed and ready, on the turner- but don't plug the turner in for a couple of days. After a couple of days I plug in the turner. I've had really good results with shipped eggs and really bad results with shipped eggs.

3. goatsoap

goatsoap Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Walnut Cove
    Thanks!!! I'm trying a little bit everything with these 2 dozen. Put some on the turners (already had some incubating), then put some in another incubator w/o turners. I let them sit for a couple of hours after receiving - already in the warm so too late to take back out now. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by