Caring for my flock :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MandiRock, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I ordered 6 day old baby chicks from My Pet Chicken, and they arrived on Thursday! They are SOOOO cute [​IMG]

3 barred rock females and 3 white leghorns... I let my 3 year old name them, although they can't be told apart. They are Ming Ming, Kai Lan, Dora, Olivia, Kiki and Marina. If you are around kids at all, you might recognize the names lol

Anyway, so here are my questions. Right now they are eating the medicated starter. When do they need to be switched to something else, and what do they need to be switched to? Also, at what age is it okay for me to give them treats? What treats should I give them? When do they need grit? Do I mix it in their food or just put it in a bowl? Do they need oyster shell? I want to make sure I am feeding them right!

Here are some pics of my babies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Have you read chicken 101 on this site? I think it will help you be more comfortable. You feed grit when you feed treats. I waited for a good while before I fed treats (8 weeks) because the feed has the nutrition they need and treats are not balanced nutrition. I switched from medicated starter to a flock feed when they were about 16 weeks old. I served the grit free choice, rather than mixed in with the feed. No oyster shell till they are laying age; it's bad for chicks to have too much calcium.

They should have fresh water all the time.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your chicks!

3. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Yep - know all of those names! [​IMG] (and if I hear that Fresh Beat song one more time.....Here We Go? so go! [​IMG])

Anyway:
    grit: needed only if giving treats - offered either way seems to be fine
    treats: there's a chart - if you search treats..there are A LOT of threads about what people give theirs and when - lots of options [​IMG]
    switch food: you will want to keep them on the starter for at least the first couple of months
    oyster: no calcium for chickies! they'll need it only when they are of laying age (16-20 weeks on average)

That's what I've gleaned so far - hope it helps.

Great pics! All babies - feathered and not - look very adorable!

4. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    I've relied on the bag to tell me when to switch. I use Purina and the website and the bag says to switch at 18-20 weeks, I think. Will review when the time gets closer. So, still on chick feed at 5-6 weeks.

I introduced grit at 2 weeks, since that's what it said on my chick grit bag. So I waited until then to give treats.

No Oyster Shell until they are laying eggs. Too much calcium is bad for bone development.

I believe that companies recommend what to do based on the products they sell; that's why I rely on their individual recommendations.

5. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    When my chicks were little my kids loved hand feeding them uncooked oatmeal! So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by