Caring for new chicks in SW Florida?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thart13, May 9, 2011.

1. thart13

thart13 New Egg

Mar 7, 2011
    Getting new chicks this week and live in SW Florida. I have a spot on my covered patio where I want to keep them in a big Rubber maid storage container.

The patio is covered and screened in.

I can keep a lamp on them but the guy at the feed store said they should probably come inside at night.

Bringing them into the garage at night and then back out in the morning will be an ordeal for me due to very long explanation.

If I have a heat lamp on them at night will be they be ok on the patio?

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

2. jjfab

jjfab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I'm in south Alabama. My chicks were in box an partially enclosed storage lean to that sounds like your patio. I had a 75 watt bulb in the heat lamp and they did fine. The outside temps at night do not get below high 60s or low 70s here (and I'm sure in south Florida). The bulb was enough to keep them plenty warm. In fact, they were usually a little bit away from the area under the bulb when I looked indicating they were too hot directly under the bulb. That is the secret. Go out at night a couple of times and make sure they are not huddled directly under the bulb (which indicates they are too cold). If they consistently stay at the opposite side from the bulb, it indicates they are too hot.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    [​IMG]

Yeah, what jjfab said.... They should be fine with a light on. I wish I had a covered, screened in porch for mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by