Caring for Pekin Ducks in Cold Climates

duckieinalaska

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I acquired 2 Pekin ducks this summer. Winter is rapidly approaching in Alaska and I need help in what I need to do to safely house my ducks. Space is an issue. I also have 4 pet chickens but their house is too small for all of them. Do the ducks need their "pool" for swimming in the winter too? Thanks!

How cold do you get for how long? I had Peking ducks in Northern Indiana housed in a garage with lots of hay and water brought in fresh twice a day. We were below zero a lot.
I also gave them warm oatmeal as often as possible to keep their internal heat going.

Im sure Alaska is a lot colder than Pennsylvania weather, however...our neighbors have a ton of pekins they are true free range ducks. No man made shelters the only thing they use that's man-made is the pond. The only reason they've lost a few is from the neighbors dog. Other than that the ducks are perfeclty fine in the winter. Below freezing temps, horrid wind-chill, ice, sleet etc. I think just a (out of the wind) draft free area would be good for them im sure.

Thank you so much for the feedback! And yes, our weather can get quite severe but I don't think that much different from the midwest or upper northeast. 0 degrees quite normal, with windchill at times to -20. It's not like we get a lot of sunshine though during the day so feels cold....even to a duck I bet!

My ducks (1 pekin) slept in the garage last winter on a little straw. I made a little pool for them with a heater out of a 55 gal plastic barrel. I don't know if they really needed it but they sure liked it. They would spend all day wandering about the yard and driveway even in the snow until it dropped below 15f. Then they pretty much stayed in the garage, I didn't have to force them inside.

i'm also fretting about my ducks for this winter...
sad.png
...i have their hutch aganist the back of my house...but it has a wire floor on most of it..(except where they sleep/nest)..so..i'm worring about the drafts from that..also...the front is mostly wire..again..(except where they sleep..it has a wood door)...what should/can i do to prevent drafts coming up from the bottom..and what about a pool?...

Our Duck Yard is attached to the chicken yard which is attached to the barn, in which we are blocking off space to make an area for the ducks this winter. My chickens did not go out much during the winter last year, and this is my first year with ducks, so I don't know. We are prepared with lots of hay/straw, but do I need to put a heat lamp in the coops with them ? We did have one in the chicken house last year, and even though the hens were bored, (egg production dropped), it did keep them from freezing.
smile.png
Any advice would be appreciated

lol..we all are lost!...
hmm.png
...i'm thinking of moving mine down cellar..but..ugh!..what a mess!!...
sickbyc.gif
...Wendy

Hey Duckie! Alaska's a big state...
wink.png
where are you?
We have ducks this year for the first time on the Kenai Peninsula, and we're getting ready to winterize too. Not sure exactly what hubby has planned, though. Our neighbors used to have ducks and geese, and we always saw them outside in the snow, so I don't think they're going to do too badly.
smile.png

frow.gif

and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom