1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Carol the white leghorn! He or She?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HannahH1990, Oct 4, 2013.

1. HannahH1990

HannahH1990 Hatching

Oct 4, 2013
    Hello all! I have a white leghorn named Carol however I think she may be a he! When I bought her I was told she had been sexed via venting and she was definitely a she! However I'm starting to have my doubts! She is very bossy, slightly aggressive towards my other two chickens, has spur buds and is now making crowing like noises! Bad sign I know if I'm hoping she is female! I thought she was about 10 or 11 weeks but she is HUGE! So is my other leghorn Pebbles - she is black and supposed to be 8 weeks but is very big. Carol has been sitting down quite a lot lately so I thought maybe she was practicing for laying but I'm really not sure! Any help/ info would be appreciated!

Hannah

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you happen to have a picture maybe from the side? Comb size isn't too helpful with leghorns, especially with ones really close to laying, since females have big combs too. However I think I'm seeing some hackle feathers there, so signs are pointing to a roo...especially if he's trying to crow.

3. HannahH1990

HannahH1990 Hatching

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottom one is my other leghorn Pebbles. I have my doubts about her too!! Is she also a he?

4. HannahH1990

HannahH1990 Hatching

Oct 4, 2013
    Sorry black one is pebbles!

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I think I'm definitely seeing hackle and saddle feathers on Carol so I think she's really a male. Pebbles is a little harder to tell, I think she has some saddle feathers coming in right above her wing and those legs are HUGE so I'd watch her too - there's a good chance she's also a he. But maybe someone else will come along with a different opinion - can you keep roosters where you live?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. HannahH1990

HannahH1990 Hatching

Oct 4, 2013
    I've been told no due to their noise and id be hesitant to have two roosters incase they fight! My boyfriends uncle has a farm and he might he able to take it =(

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of your birds looks like cockerels to me. I see pointy hackles and some saddle feathers on both of them.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I'm sorry :( I'm very glad I can keep roosters here, I dunno what I'd do without my boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by