Carolina Wren Insists on Building Her Nest IN The Coop!

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I noticed today that there are a pair of mated Carolina wrens building a nest inside the coop. They fly into the run thru the 2” by 4” fencing, then into the coop thru the pop door.

The flock doesn’t seem to mind them now that they’ve gotten over the initial fright of having a small bird flying overhead, so no issues there.

My whole coop and run are sand, so I’m not overly concerned about mites, but what about worms? And are there any other parasites or diseases that the wrens could bring into the flock? Should I take the nest down tonight? And if I do that, how am I going to keep them from trying again tomorrow? I can’t keep the pop door closed all day or I’ll have a bunch of pissed off chickens laying eggs all over the run!

I’m not even sure how I could do that now that she’s figured out how to use the chicken door...

Just persistently tear out the nest... and offer them a different place to nest....

Last year my resident Carolina wrens raised a brood on my brush hog, another in a boot I hung on the back of the shed and finally another in a bird house... so they’re really not that picky.

2A0A07B8-9AF2-4BE7-80DD-A99AE4F27B58.jpeg

This year their first brood was in this house, and they’ve already fledged... I just cleaned it out tonight... but didn’t look for or see any mites... but I’d likely keep them away from the chickens if possible
C693E00A-3D6E-4512-952D-E101BC95CE1F.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can't remove the nest, or they put it right back, maybe you could sprinkle some poultry dust in their nest?? I don't think it would hurt them, if you use the .25% permethrin, like Hi Yield Pet/Livestock dust. They may not appreciate being treated for mites, and may decide to find a better place to nest! Just an idea...

Back
Top Bottom