1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

caroline is ill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Jan 17, 2014.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Caroline was out in the coop with the other girls fine until two nights ago when we had a bad frost -6 here. When I let the girls out she would not come out of the coop and when I turned her out her comb was blue! I brought her in and warmed her up. Since then I put all the other girls on tylon. I have kept her separate and given her tylon and loads of love! She has been eating fine poultry layers and eggs, bread and porridge! But she still has bad diarrhea and is a bit weak on one side. This afternoon I let her out with hte other girls and she has enjoyed some time with her friends but is obviously not right. What can I do now? Should I keep her in the house tonight? If I keep her in too long the others wont like her back and she will get picked on? Also she will get used to the heat and treats! Any ideas?
    How do I stop her butt exploding? lol She is trying to preen herself clean but its a loosing battle I fear.

Oes

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Poor Caroline! I would keep her in house overnight and out with the girls during the day for a couple more days just to see what shakes out.
    As for her bum - warm soapy water to keep the feathers clean and if they are matted, cut 'em off! Throttle back on treats and start with her usual rations, that may help.
    I think it's a matter of time will tell. If you are inclined and have a good vet, you can try that avenue. I think you are doing everything you can - btw how is her comb?? Sue

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks for the post.
    I didn't bring Caroline in last night as she decided she would rather go to the coop. That I thought was a good sign. I also thought that if she dies overnight at least she was with her friends. They are all on tylon just incase it is something nasty. As for the Vet - we don't take them anymore. I do basic treatment at home and if that doesn't work sad to say we just try a new hatch! We decided this after I took hens to the vet and found I was being charged £25 before the vet even saw the birds! Then the meds on top. For a hen that is very very expensive as we can get 3 or 4 point of lay hens for that much. So it is not viable. This choice upset me when I lost a lot of hens last year before I got to grips with what was wrong. It is a case of having to learn ourselves and I think most of us who own hens are in the same situation.

I don't give the hens a lot of treats at all. I do however give them eggs and yogurt and oats to build them back up if they are sick or if it is very cold.

When I opened the coop this morning I was shocked to find that our Caroline was first out and dived for the water (which is dosed with Tylon and ACV!) She also got yogurt when the other girls went out to the yard. She is more steady on her feet which is great to see as she was still wobbly last night. Her comb is that "I am not laying" colour but not grey anymore and the very tip is red so I am happy with that. I have not seen her poop yet today so I am hoping what it was is over! Agnes is still a bit out of sorts and the last out of the coop again today but is holding her own with the others.

I am dousing the ground with Js fluid once the rain stops! Cleaned the coop and bleached it out the other day too. Don't want another infection taking hold. It is nice to see my girl outside again She is an old girl now as she is over 5 yrs. I only have Caroline and Isobella left from my orriginal 6 hens. I only have Betty left out of my first hatch. So I try hard to keep these in good health.

Oes

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Glad to hear all is well! I hear you about the vets' - it cost $50(about 25 pounds) for the office visit, then meds - way too expensive for a hen, sad to say but true.
    Hope everything continues to improve, Sue

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Just went out to find all the girls safely in the coop except Caroline who was OUT IN THE RAIN!!!!!!! [​IMG] Went out waided through the mud and threw her in the coop - she was not a happy girl. I guess three days stuck in a cat box is not an experience she wants to repeat and simply is making the most of the big outdoors!

oes - here is hoping she doesn't catch cold! - stupid bird! lol

6. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    She's pushing her luck.......[​IMG]

7. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Yeah I think so too but she was knee deep in mud and soaking wet so I couldn't leave her. I did think about chasing her back in the coop but I already did that once and she was not happy.
    So she is back in the dinning room next to the new eggs in the incubator and eating boiled eggs to try to boost her protien. Hope she gets better. Darn I hate this rain sooo much.

Oes

8. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Interestingly, rain is one thing I miss from England. Not the miserable, cold rains of winter, but the warm gentle rains of summer. Summer rain here is usually in the form of thunder storms and short downpours........
    Anyway, I think Caroline is a smart chicken - she knows how to get the best digs and food!! [​IMG]

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Well yes she is !!!!!! She got oats for breakfast and egg and then I took her out of the cat box and let her wander round the kitchen for a bit. She didn;t poop so maybe the exploding bottom has subsided a bit? Anyhow I turned her upsidedown and checked her vent and round the bum. She is not egg bound and there was NO fluid comming out of her mouth. She was a calm as anything like she knew I was trying to help her. I took her to the bathroom and keeping her upsidedown washed her bum again with the shower hose and soap! lol Honestly she will want a hair do next! She never struggled at all. I dried her best I could and set her back on the kitchen floor. She is fine walking for a short while but ends up walking like a german soldier! Then she does a little unballanced wobble. But she recovered herself and waddled to the back door past the cat! And waited for me to let her out to the yard ! She waited on the porch for me to let her friends out eating the treats from the treat bowl I had there. The others came out at great speed to great her and she had almost demolished the whole plate by herself! Now she is out in the sunshine wandering about and preening herself. Her comb is still a bit on the dull side. She is still unballanced but far better than before. I am not sure what is going on with her? She is an old girl and she only laid a handful of eggs last year but she is a love and I would not like to lose her just yet.. Though we did think we would lose Caroline and Isobella this year as they were the two youngest birds of my orriginal 6 hens and the others are long gone. On the upside we have the three new babies hatched in May time out running about the yard with the others and they are laying - :) And of course the 5 eggs in the bator are on the go so I can;t complain really they have a good life and loads of love!

Oes

10. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sounds like Caroline is doing fine! It takes us 'old ladies' a bit to recover from trauma. Hopefully, she will have many more days in the sun, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by