Caroline's son wants help with rooster injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by write2caroline, Jun 20, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Hey, as the subject says, I'm Caroline's son. Well, we let the Rooster out of the coop and into the run and he attacked me. (WHAT A SURPRISE) His mistake was that I had a bamboo switch. I hit him, a side swipe to the head... [​IMG] He immediatly started flailing around and I immediatly thought the worst. He was bleeding from his comb and was kinda falling towards the right. We threw corn starch on him but couldn't catch him. Later, he started to act normal. My mom was convinced that he was about to be KIA and I felt even worse. Although we really hate the S.O.B. for attacking us daily and cutting up our legs, I personally don't want the guilt of killing the rooster. Right now he's acting all sleepy but he also will switch to acting all normal. He did crow after the initial insident but he's not making a peep now. I'm starting to believe that he may have internal injuries... [​IMG]... Any thoughts?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Roosters are tough - he'll probably recover fully in a day or two and be right back to attacking your legs.

If he was mine, I would invite him to dinner...

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    he should be okay. wait till he goes to roost to catch him and check for any signs of injury. some roosters are just whimps who "sulk" at everything. he'll be better soon.

oh, and try a SHOVEL next time instead of a switch [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    He will likely be fine & up and around to annoy you further soon.

Seriously, you should consider killing him for your own safety. You can't really re-home him because he's likely to hurt someone else. I have been through this, with the whole attempted behavior modification thing and all. When the rooster's insane attacking leaps started to get to chest height on me (I'm an adult), DH and I decided we were done.

A rooster that aggressive is usually hard on the hens too...

Good luck.

P.S., I have to ask, what is the deal with the corn starch?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Thank you Guys. Although before I hit him, I would have no remorse about cooking him in my dutch oven. I'll keep checking him. As for his aggressiveness, he does pull feathers of some of the hens and beat up the cats that get too close. For the most part, he's not that bad to the hens. Any way thank you again for alleviating my concerns.

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Oh and the corn starch, it causes the blood to congeal slightly therefore slowing blood loss. I've seen it work on other animals and learned it as part of the First Aid Merit badge.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Aggression just bring out aggression – especially with roosters. If you hit him – how is he ever supposed to trust that you are not a threat to his girls?

If he can be re-trained, then catch him when he flies at you to attack. Catch him and carry him around – either hanging upside down for a short time or in your arms like a football if you can.

If he cannot be re-trained or if you (or anyone in your family is afraid of him) send him to freezer camp or re-home him to someone who does not mind his attitude. If any person is afraid of their rooster – the rooster knows.

Roosters are tough, but they are so much smaller than humans and have hollow bird bones. Hitting or kicking is really not appropriate – chop his head off instead.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Collin's Mom here.

Collin should not have whacked Razz in the head but Razz has not responded to any of the behavior mods. We followed the whole list of things to try when he first attacked us. We tried carrying him around like a football and meeting his aggressive stance with a full on return stance. This Rooster is very aggressive and has increased his aggression as he became a year old. I have already trimmed off his spurs. I think I need to freezer camp him. Collin just didn't want to be the one to do the deed on accident. I think I am going to have to wring his neck. I will have to do it at night. I haven't so far because he is actually good with the girls. Its just us he shows his aggression. He also has a little roo son who as a 7 week old chick is also really aggressive. I am naming him Cord on Bleu because that is what he is destined to be. We never move him or guide him with out a stick to hold him off when he attacks - He has taken to sneak attacks and he is not to be trusted at all. The only good thing about Razzmatazz is he is beautiful but I have other roosters who are nicer (bantams) and a Copper Marans Roo coming in August.
    Caroline

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I love the name Cord on Bleu - I name my freezer bound cockerels/roos food names also (have had Chicken nugget, Fried Chicken, Slipper (slip on the grill), Stir fry) and have a Sweet and a Sour, an Enchilada, Grill and so on. Makes me hungry [​IMG]

Yes, if the roo refuses to play nice then wring his neck or off with his head. If you were closer I would help - I do not put up with nasty or nasty wanna be roosters.

10. welovechickens

welovechickens Songster

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have small children at my house and in my backyard sometimes....an aggressive chicken is not welcome here. Period. This mindset was helped along by seeing the injuries on a friend's 2 year old baby after she was attacked by her neighbor's rooster out of the blue. Time for Razz to get a one-way ticket to the freezer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by