Carpal pad problems

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Swamp Roo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Well the newest addition to the family (Fancy), an Aussie Sheppard mix is doing well. She is adjusting well and only has a few new scars across her nose courtesy of the cats. Other than being strong willed and stubborn (she just WILL NOT leave the cats alone [​IMG]), we only have one issue. She keeps tearing open the bottom of her carpal pads by licking/chewing on them. I talked to the previous owner, and she said that it was not an issue. Any ideas on how to get them to heal, and what the root of the problem could be? Thanks

Swamp

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Try taking her to the vet. It may be allergies or even a thorn imbedded in her foot.

3. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Allergies, maybe, but I figure that the previous owner would have had problems too, and she was on top of taking care of the dog (the dogs teeth are whiter than mine for goodness sake!). I will keep it in mind. Both pads on the front paws are chewed in the exact same spot. The odds of two thorns/stickers/splinters hitting the same spot on both paws (especially that high up) is pretty slim wouldn't you think? Thanks

Swamp

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Pad chewing is usually caused by inhalant allergies, occasionally food or contact allergies.

That being said I have no idea why it would only be the carpal pad. Stress of changing homes? Damage to the dew claws? Dunno.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Swamp Roo

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Quote:First thing I did was check the dew claws, I'm not seeing anything wrong. I'm hoping it's just stress, she really has seen some changes. New place, new owners (ones that are actually giving her a job (training)), food that is more nutritious than Ol Roy or Beneful, and lots of play time. I'm going to pick up some Apple Bitter tomorrow and see if I can't keep her from chewing. If that does not help, it's off to the vet...

Swamp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by