Carpenter Bees in coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SgtPepper, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SgtPepper

SgtPepper New Egg

Dec 13, 2010
    Found a few carpenter/boring bee holes in the back of the coop, on the outside. And one hole has a bee in it. Does anyone know how to get rid of them safely?

2. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    I have them chronically. Don't know what to do or how to deal with. They moved in as soon as the frame went up...

3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    We had some in our back door. I read that you can fill the hole and paint the door. I filled it with calk, painted and he came back and made a new hole. I don't know how to get rid of them but I'd like to know another way to try.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Quote:Fill the hole with calk when the bee is IN the hole. That works. They usually won't mess with painted or treated wood. They sure do like bare pine though.
    Jack

5. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    I find a tennis racket works best to kill Carpenter Bees [​IMG]

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:Fill the hole with calk when the bee is IN the hole. That works. They usually won't mess with painted or treated wood. They sure do like bare pine though.
    Jack

they will mess with treated wood once it has aged for a couple of years. And paint does not even slow them down. Caulk has no affect. There is a silica dust product that is supposed to work pretty well. Squirting diatomaceous earth up in the holes would probably have some effect too.

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Caulk has a effect if you use it on the hole when the bee is IN it. I've yet to see one eat his (Her really) way out of that. When I say treated wood, I'm talking about pressure treated wood. The wood when you drive a nail in it, you see the liquid seep out. That stuff is pure poison, I have'nt seen a bee drill very far into it. I've seen them start, Leave a small dent, then leave. Painted wood, I guess it depends on how old the paint is. John Henry, I like the tennis racket method, Maybe badmitton rackets for the kids.
    Jack

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can but wood preservitive to protect cuts in all weather or ground contract yreated wood, would it help to paint in on every couple years?

9. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    If you don't mind using Sevin, pack some of the dust in the hole before filling it. Sevin is plumb lethal to all bees. Which is why I won't have it on the property, having bee hives & all. Don't use it in your veg garden if you want your plants to be pollinated. But if you're just packing it in a Carpenter bee hole, you're ok. [​IMG]

Ammonia is lethal to wasps and bees as well. FYI. [​IMG]

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:I like to use a badminton racket, lighter than a tennis racket. Fun! And satisfying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by