Carpenters/Woodworkers/ Saloon, Cafe Door Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Jan 24, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    http://salooncafedoors.com/

http://www.swingingcafedoors.com/servlet/the-45/Double-Arch-Cafe-Saloon/Detail

Does
    anyone know where i can find these types of doors..cheap? [​IMG]
    I need SOME type of door to put in my kitchen doorway...
    Heres the issue..My Saint bernards sleep in the kitchen..and i have my kitchen baby gated off...so they cant roam the house at night or when we are not home.
    But.. my female, Daisy, has learned to jump the baby gate.... i cant raise the baby gate higher either..cause then she'll be able to crawl UNDER the gate...
    Its gotten to the point that we have to hook an ugly car cargo net across the top of the gate.... so she cant jump it.
    Were looking for some kind of half door that she cant jump over..and that swings on hinges.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Could we just buy real tall wooden window shutters and put swing hinges on them and do it that way? Or would that look tacky?.... (cant be any tackier than a cargo net though..[​IMG]..)
    Heeelp...

Would Lowes/Home Depot carry anything like this?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Red, I can out-tacky you any day, with one wing tied behind my back and pinless peepers in place. [​IMG]

We fostered a Dobie, who's #1 goal in life was to kill the 3 cats. We designated the kitchen and keeping room as her areas. We put up a screen door between that area and the rest of the house. The house is old, so I found an old wood screen door, replaced the rusty screen, added some expanded metal grates to the bottom half, painted it a very tasteful black and DONE. She's long gone, but the door remains for separating the beasties when needed.

BTW, the screen door? I found it next to the dumpster in a K-Mart parking lot! [​IMG]

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] No lie! Hubby mentioned a screen door too!

My idea was the big window shutters.. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What I like is that doesn't block air circulation.

Ranchy - never leaves home without a tape measure.

5. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    How about just a regular door cut in half so that top & bottom open/close seperately.....sorta like a horse stall door...actually the bottom would be a little taller than the top. You could leave the top open when you're home & shut the top when you're away. These cheap interior doors are available at Lowes, etc...4 hinges, 2 bolt latches, then paint/stain to match the color in your home.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOOh... good idea! I'll run it by hubby! [​IMG]
    How would we make the "cut" part of the door look finished though?? Just sand and paint it? But then you'll have a gap where you sanded when the doors shut, wont you??

7. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
  8. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
  9. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:You need to make sure it's a solid core door, otherwise when you cut it down to size your going to just have 2 layers. You could get some shutters from Lowes and some double action hinges. Chances are though that it wont stop a dog. Their just going to push right through it anyways.

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Me & My Peeps :

Quote:You need to make sure it's a solid core door, otherwise when you cut it down to size your going to just have 2 layers. You could get some shutters from Lowes and some double action hinges. Chances are though that it wont stop a dog. Their just going to push right through it anyways.

Drat!! Phooey!
    I dont think she will push through it.. i'll have it latched... shes pretty good about not pushing "through" things... she just likes to "jump" them...
    Shes my problem child... [​IMG]

Now hes thinking of getting a wood door and just cutting it in half..or 3/4 high(high enough so she cant jump it).... and leaving the top off the door..
    LOL... god help me...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by