Carpentry Help - 5G Bucket Stand

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nxb161, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nxb161

nxb161 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    I'm looking to make a waterer out of a 5G Bucket. I want it to be mobile, so I am thinking about hanging it off a wooden type of stand. I'm sure someone on here has made one of these. I don't really have the carpentry/design skills. I'm just looking for a basic stand that the bucket will hang from, just want to make sure it is totally stable that wind won't rock it the bucket and knock down the stand when it is light, but not totally overkill. Any design dimension ideas?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could build a tripod of most anything sturdy material, poles, 2 x 4 boards. Lay out three poles about 4 feet long and lash them together. Just wrap sturdy twine, cord, rope, wire around the poles about 6 inches from one end, taking a wrap between the poles on the first wrap to keep them from binding. Make three or four wraps around them, then try to stand them up. You might need to fiddle with the wrapping to find how tight it needs to be. After you find the right fit, make a loop of cord to go over the tripod, over one pole above the wrapping would be enough.

You can hang your bucket from this loop.

A tripod is intrinsically stable, and will sit on an irregular or unlevel surface without falling over.

This web site shows how to lash a tripod. http://www.animatedknots.com/lashtripod/

Chris

3. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well I went out to the hardware store this morning and got all my supplies. Here is what I have so far. It is very stable, only thing I need to figure out is how to stablize the chain and handle so it can't slide. I have to go over it with some sandpaper as well.

4. nxb161

Jan 22, 2013
    NorthEast Pennsylvania
    Someone on another forum mentioned that the handle will most likely fail, any thoughts on this? I see the risk, just not sure what the odds are. In the meanwhile I'm trying to think of a way to hook the opposite sides so it is a more balanced hang which should reduce pressure on the handle. Let me know if you have any ideas.

5. DeepFriedBacon

DeepFriedBacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2013
    NW Indiana
    What you could do, if you have any plywood and chunks of 2x4 laying around, you could make add a "cleat" to the uprights(small chunk of 2x4 on the vertical posts leveled out between the two. Cut a piece of plywood wider than the bucket, that will fit in between the uprights and rest on the "cleats". Cut a hole for the bucket to slide into, but won't let the bucket all the way through, so it sorta stops when you get closer to the lip of the bucket.
    Should be really stable, easy to remove the bucket without fumbling with a chain or rope, and won't put any pressure on the handle.

Lemmie know if my description lost ya.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by