Carpeted roost, anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karlamaria, Jul 18, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    We put a new roost in and took down the ladder roosts, they took to much floor space and since putting the new roost up the birds have the whole floor to play on. Problem is we have a bird with crooked toes and she could not get up onto the roost, or hold on and I was afraid she would fall off one night and harm her self sooooo... We carpeted the roost, and thought this would also keep there feet very comfortable in winter. We went by a carpet store today on a whim and there out side was a nice new piece of flat carpeting sitting by the dumpster. We took it home, put it on the roost and the girls love it! We then put a bigger board under neath for the poop board. ( will post pictures tomorrow as it's after midnight and I forgot lol. We plan to re-carpet as it gets dirty. I'm thinking this will keep there feet much warmer in the winter and more comfortable. Or am I nuts and it's a stupid idea?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. cluck shmucks

cluck shmucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Hey! I think that is a great idea! I have some extra carpet remnants and may just try it. Either that... or maybe I'll buy a piece of astro turf? I guess it woudln't be quite as warm, but more easily cleaned...

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I got to thinking, I have never seen poop on my roost, so maybe the carpet will not be totally ruined to soon. I'm going to go by that store again this week and see what I can find again, the best part is this carpet on the roost can be cut and more re-applied we get so cold here, I mean cold. Setting up on a carpet will be much warmer .

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It may not get a lot of poop on it, but I bet it will be a haven for mites

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Yes I was thinking the same mites !!!!!!! Also bactria which can cause diseases. The roost bars can easily be washed down and disinfected but carpet can#t!!!!

Oesdog [​IMG]

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone actually take out and wash their roost bars? I've seen a lot of coops where they're not removable. Not that I'd bother using carpet. But then again I've read that wood has some antibacterial properties.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Whether the roost are taken out or not, mites are a serious problem. You gotta find some way to clean those things.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Whether the roost are taken out or not, mites are a serious problem. You gotta find some way to clean those things.

+1. This is true.​

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I used old carpet UNDER the deep litter, a couple of layers. Its nylon and so tough only an exacto knife will cut it. I figured it will keep out digging predators until it really rots, and that will take at least 4-5 years.

But, I don't think carpet per se is very hygenic without something to catch the droppings on top. You know how dirt gets ground in, and I think in a few weeks it will start to really smell.

You might get away with something like astroturf or a really short napped indoor outdoor carpet if you had some way to perhaps power wash it periodically to get the droppings out of it, and then maybe rinse it in bleach to sanitize.

10. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Mites, mites, mites! Makes me itch just thinking about it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by