Carport Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tplummer, Dec 11, 2009.

1. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Does anyone have any pics of carports they have made into coops. We just installed a carport and were wanting to get different ideas. We have one that we are planning on using, but wanted to see what others have done. We might like it better or can incorporate some of the ideas into it.

2. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Did you install the carport for your car or for your chickens? [​IMG]

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. tplummer

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    For the chickens. I put one up in the pasture for the horses last year. My car has one.

5. tplummer

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Thanks PossumQueen.

6. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I have a couple of pics of one of our coops, a carport, in my "coop thoughts" page in my BYC personal pages...at the bottom of the page. Nothing majestic, and always a work in progress here!

7. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey TPlummer! That's my coop and carport run the PossumQueen sent you a pic of. We're practically neighbors. I live just down US 70 about seven miles east of Statesville right at the Rowan County line. Drop by sometimes and see my coop and run. My Gals love it. I got it up in time for Tropical Storm Ida that passed through a few weeks ago and they stayed high and dry. I got the carport from a friend who bought a new house earlier this year and he was going to tear it down and put up an attached garage to his house. It was probably less than a year old. He was going to call the local scrap iron guy to come get it but I got there first. It took me and my friend a whole day to get it down and back up on my property. Before I put it up I layed down an inch or so of Crush 'n Run and then topped that with another three inches of creek sand. I put up hex fencing material and a gate on front and moved the coop to the back of it. We had a lot of rain the other day for two days and a night as you probably know. The next day I could see the Gals out there doing their dust baths as if nothing had happened.

I'm going to line the north side which is the back and left side with a tarp to act as a wind break and leave it up for the winter. I may do the right side too but leave the front open.

ps... There's another pic of my setup on the next page of that link she sent you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. tplummer

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    There were no pics on that link either. I did see that one earlier, which is when I emailed you. No pics, though.

9. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:Hey JimWWhite!!! You're MY neighbor, too! (well, almost. . . .) GREETINGS!!![​IMG]

What a small world!

10. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

For TPLUMMER, try the link below. It may take a few moments for the link to resolve and show the pics but there are several if you scroll down on all three pages. This is the same link that was on the third post up above by the POSSUMQUEEN:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266912&p=1

I used to refer to my coop and run as the Taj Mahal because of how much money I have it in. But I quit counting when the Gals wanted the fifty foot long wading pool just like the one in front of the real Taj Mahal. But I've since found that someone else claimed the name of Taj Mahal so I renamed mine 'The KFC Halfway House'... [​IMG]

And for POSSUMQUEEN, glad to 'meet' you. I used to live down that way near Wesley Chapel School going towards Weddington just off Hwy #84.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by