carrying a loaded incubator with you in a car for 6 hours?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, May 20, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Can it be done? I 'd love to take my incubator with me to western NY in July when we go on vacation (to visit extended family.) Is it possible to have eggs incubating already in it and unplug it for 6 hrs and then replug it in at the other end and the eggs still be ok? Has anyone ever done this with good results at the other end? I'd love for my parents and the young cousins there to be able to see the hatching process...also then I could start more babies here in the meantime...I can't start it back up after June 1st if I can't take it with me....
    Lisa

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    why dont you get a power converter for your car? we have one and you can get them at Walmart relatively cheap. one end plugs into your "cigarette" lighter or "battery powered" charger and the other end receives a regular household plug. we use them all the time for our kids gameboys and dvd players when we dont have car adapters for all of them.
    if you did that the incubator would be plugged in and still working.
    what is nice about my van is they have a car battery powered plug in the back as well as in the front.

3. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Wow now that would be cool a traveling incubator, just whatch for bumps in the road!

4. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Quote:I live in Western NY bring them by my house so I can say HI!!!!!

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:That was my response too. The Converters come in very handy.

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Ok....that is great! Guess where I'm headed later!
    Annrich- where are you? I'm heading to Jamestown....land of sunshine. haha. No, seriously, rain or shine, we love it there. All of our parents are still living there, and lots of Aunts, Uncles and cousins gather there every summer...we have alot of great times together there.
    ChickenWendy-I have a van too with the power thingy in the back too! actually bought the thing in Jamestown 10 years ago! Agh-its getting old!
    Lisa
    Thanks everyone for the answers! What you learn here on BYC!

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You have to have a power inverter that will supply enough JUICE to keep the bator running, I have one that will run a drill/saw, but will not start a small compressor, so find out the amps used by your bator, this will be the Continuois (-1 SP) amps needed. I would think that number may be high since it is supplying power to a heating element.

Good luck.

8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    ok- here is what I see on the power adapter that came with the bator (GQF hovabator 1588 Genesis)
    Input:AC 100-240 V 50/60 Hz 1.5 A
    Output: 12V = 3000 mA

Does that mean anything to anyone? What converters would I look for at Walmart?
    Lisa

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We have a plug that goes into our cigarette lighter and a box that has a regular plug in...got it at radio shack I don't see why you couldn't bring it along! Just set it on a folded blanket for shock absorption! Good luck! I would do it!

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BTW that converter we got at radio shack was about 80 bucks BUT we used it ALL the time. We plug in our little cooler on vacations...we drive to FL once a year...and the baby watches his small tv in the van on the way there [​IMG] It's WELL worth the money!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by