Carton Method to Hatch...Cardboard or Styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanMama, Oct 24, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm working on setting up my bator for hatching and I was planning on using the carton method....so the question is cardboard or styrofoam? I would tend to lean towards cardboard because it's a more natural material, breathable etc. But, if I put them in styrofoam cartons with most of it cut away...would that be okay? My thought was that they styrofoam wouldn't mess with the humidity like the cardboard would.

Thanks all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Use cardboard, and cut the bottoms out so the eggs get air.

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    i use cardboard with the bottoms cut out. you could warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before using.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Cardboard. I did try styrofoam once with very little success. (Though right now I am doing neither, just laying them on their sides.)

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    If it's only for hatching, I don't think you'll have to cut holes in the bottoms.
    Paper/Cardboard is much better to use. I hatched mine in a still air LG and it didn't mess with the hum.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use cardboard and I've never cut holes in the bottom.

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Is the styrofoam bad to use? Just asking because I used the egg carton method for the very first time in my last hatch, and I had 5 fully formed chicks who died before pipping? I didn't cut holes in the bottom either.

Paula

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't have a clue if this is right or not, but the reason I use the cardboard is I think it probably "breathes" better than the styrafoam.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats what I do. I spray it with brinsea incubation disinfectant, and then I microwave it for about a min. to kill any germs.

10. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Thats what I do. I spray it with brinsea incubation disinfectant, and then I microwave it for about a min. to kill any germs.

For incubation only, which I am going to do, should I cut holes or not? Maybe just small ones?

So then the styro-foam is not good no matter what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by