Carton with quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Dec 31, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have some Bobwhite quail eggs in the incubator right now. On Monday I will be taking them out of the turner so I was curious if you can put them in a carton like I've seen some of you do with chicken eggs. If you can do you put them small end down? Anything else I should know about using a carton?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, you can put them in a carton. You would want to use a quail egg carton, of course. And yes you do put them small end down. A lot of people have said they had better hatches with quail in a carton. Just make sure your humidity is at least 65%. 70% is better. [​IMG]

3. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thank you. I think I'm going to try it this way. And of course I'll use a quail carton. Thanks again.

4. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    heya, where can I get quail cartons? (I need button size)

5. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    You can use a regular size carton, just cut a kleenex into quarters and fold one of the quarters into fourths and stick it around the bottom of the egg. I have a regular egg turner with chicken size cups in my LG and did that for my button and quail eggs. Worked fine.
    -Spooky

6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    you know whats funny that is EXACTLY what I did. I want to incubate them and was told (or read some where) to keep them pointy side down. and in the big carton the button wasnt staying how I wanted it.. I thought tissue!!! and voila. ok so that is great thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by