Cary, NC - Chicken Update

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by manfre, Sep 19, 2008.

1. manfre

manfre Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Now that Wake Forest has approved chickens, it seems that Cary is one of the last towns in Wake county that is against chickens. I was contacted by a staff writer from The News & Observer who is looking to do a story about Cary and chickens. It would help a lot if he could speak to more than just me in the area (Cary, Raleigh, Wake Forest, etc) before he writes the story.

Josh Shaffer
    The News&Observer, Staff Writer
    [email protected]
    office: 919-829-4818

Thanks,
    Michael Manfre​

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's awesome, Michael-- Glad the fight isn't over. Too bad for Cary's city council that they didn't see the light the first time. Starting to look like the only non-progressives in the county now, eh?

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keeping this bumped up for you Michael. I'm confident you'll prevail in the end, and keep speaking truth to power!

~Phyllis

4. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I just emailed him! [​IMG]

ETA: Just read throught the website..well done!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. MsMarbles&Me

MsMarbles&Me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Cary isn't the only one in Wake county.

Garner doesn't allow chickens either. I'm just outside city limits in the county so I'm wondering if I need to work on making the change now before I get annexed.

6. manfre

manfre Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    Cary, NC
    MsMarbles&Me :

Garner doesn't allow chickens either. I'm just outside city limits in the county so I'm wondering if I need to work on making the change now before I get annexed.

If you are allowed chickens now, you could push for them to be grandfathered in when you are annexed. Just make sure your right to have chickens is grandfathered and not your current chickens.​

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    MsMarbles&Me :

Garner doesn't allow chickens? You've gotta be kidding me. Who do they think they are... Cary? [​IMG]

Seriously, best wishes on the whole Cary/chicken thing, but knowing how Cary operates I'll bet that is going to be a major uphill battle for y'all. [​IMG] Thank God I'm in Johnston county and away from ALL city limits!​

8. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Good luck, and keep up the fight! You should be able to win this, just going to take a little more effort and determination!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by