Casa de Pea

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by PeaDaddy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. PeaDaddy

PeaDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Wittmann, AZ
    Losing two babies, with the risk of losing my other two caused me to do two things; I built Casa de Pea. My sister called it "Mansion de Pea", but I think with a few more birds, it will be perfectly cozy. Any "rules" about moving a couple of Lovebirds, or Lorikeets into the Casa with them?
    And I bought more peas. I'll introduce them shortly.

I wish I could draw up plans, or whatever, but honestly, I concepted this build out in my head, and built it with a very talented carpenter friend of mine communicating my vision as we went along. I am VERY proud of what we accomplished, as this is the firs time in my life something turned out better in reality than the way I thought it out in my mind.

Enjoy my pic rich post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was after the 1st day. Got them moved in and resting comfortably. I was just starting to understand how well this was going to come together, but was just excited to have a stable building to put the peas in for the night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The night of day 2. We had a completely enclosed coop, and the peas were inside for the night in this pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The magic of photography.... The right side appears burned, or discolored. It isn't. Not sure why it looks like this in the photos.
    [​IMG]

The morning of day 3. Cool, crisp, and very excited about what we were putting together.
    [​IMG]

Two almost completely enclosed coops. Still lots of work to do...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The doors on the coop are removable. I did this for several reasons. I wanted to be able to separate the birds, if necessary. New birds to the coop can be "quarantined", nesting birds can have privacy, the weather.... It just seemed like a good idea, so we did it on both.
    [​IMG]

Lights are in 1. Considering putting them in both, but when freebies are available, you take them!
    [​IMG]

The covering is 36x40. Another freebie I couldn't wait to put to work for us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second coops doors are chicken wired. We built solid doors, as well, so if I need them, they're available.
    [​IMG]

We have lots of dead trees around us. We wanted to see how natural branches would work, and they work amazingly. They look incredible, I think. I'm picking up enough to build it out Friday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

W
    e finished Casa de Pea this evening. There's a few small items left, like the perches, tying up the shade, painting and putting sod down. Yes, I'm sodding the coop. Freebies are great things, and coming across enough to do most of the area in, and around the coop made me a happy PeaDaddy.

For those who think chicken wire is not predator proof, you're doing it wrong. I'm 6'5 and 250 lbs. I threw my body against my coop to see if I could go through it, and let's just say it didn't go well.

This build was an incredible experience. We went slightly ( completely and totally) over budget, I got a trip to the ER and 3 stitches after a chance meeting with a circular grinder with a carbon blade, worked 12-13 hour days for the past 3 days, but I would do it all over again in a second. It was an awesome experience. Glad that I could share it with you.

Happy Turkey Day everyone! Enjoy the things that you have, and love those who you value and cherish!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    WOW Great Job ! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing. Happy Turkey Day

3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Wow, your Casa de Pea looks great!
    I think I would call it Luxury Pea Estate, though...
    Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your peas, especially enjoying their beautiful new home.

I don't know about this from experience, but I believe that the problem with chicken wire is that predators can chew through it? Maybe I'm mistaken.

4. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

nice job[​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Exactly. I have seen where a determined dog chewed and clawed his way through lightweight chainlink. One suggestion, I wouldn't use part of it for quarantine. If you get new birds or have sick ones that need to be quarantined, you'll want them as far away from the others as you can get them.

Nice job on Casa de Pea! What color are you going to paint it?

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Beautiful! I can't wait to get my 5 pens finished!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think you're right, but I worry more about skunks and coons reaching in and grabbing their victims. Probably not a problem if they get locked up every night.

8. PeaDaddy

PeaDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Wittmann, AZ
    Loose dogs and coyotes don't fare well on my property. Herbert Spencer says "Survival of the fittest", and I'm so the fittest, so that's that. If the dog has enough time to gnaw on chainlink, the dog clearly has too much time on its hands and has its priorities out of whack.

The color of the coop is going to match the house.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Actually, the dog heard thunder in the distance and was terrified of loud noises. He was in a fenced yard to keep him from visiting neighbors while his owners (us) were out in the pasture working on fencing. It took him surprisingly little time to rip loose, probably because he was frantic. We take care of coyotes wandering through if we see them, but I'm not here 24/7 watching my pens.

Looking a bit closer at your pics, though, the metal on the bottom looks high enough to be a deterrent.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The pen looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by