Case closed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rocketdog312, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have eggs rocking!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] but its day 16? Is this normal. should I stop turning now? I knew my temp was a little high but I need help deciding wheter to start lockdown now. I don't hear any peeping, so that means they haven't internally piiped yet. please help

ETA: Paganbird has helped solve my dilemma and I do not require any more assistance, thank you all for helping out!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Lockdown time... It's okay... breath...It will be fine.. I have done that too and had a decent hatch...Lockdown and enjoy...peeping probably tonight or tomarrow. It will be fine. Get off the roof!!! ha ha

3. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    THANK YOU, would anyone else want to back that up please?

I don't want to rely on just one answer, just for security, y'know

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Go ahead & lockdown... you may not get any pips for a few days yet, but it won't hurt to lockdown anyway.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    that is awful early. [​IMG] I don't know. I do know that when I first started hatching I didn't stop turning until the day of and all the chicks hatched out right. I might of been just lucky. I can only suggest but don't want you to hate on me if it don't work. [​IMG] I would say to keep turning like normal, unless the do start peeping through and/or start making noise. Just what I would do.
    What ever you do best of luck [​IMG]
    If anyone has a better idea please share.

6. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    thank you all for your support. the reason I'm so nervous is that theres 4 eggs and they are all rocking. I'm afraid that if I mess up I'll lose such a small number of chicks. also its my first hatch. please keep the answers coming!

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Stop turning and lock it down.

8. rocketdog312

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    now let me inform you some more. they aren't rocking in the bator, they are rocking when I put them on my hardwood floor. It's alot smoother on the floor, than that mesh on the bottom, sorry for not mentioning it before.

9. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    You don't need to turn the eggs at the end of the hatch. Turning is to keep the yolk from sticking, but after 2 weeks of incubation... it should be fine.
    Day 16 is too early, but not impossible. Temps could have been too high, incubation could have begun under a hen for a couple days, the rocking could have been caused by the 'bator fan... there are a lot of explanations that could suggest why you saw rocking. I just wanted to let you know that you can stop turning them without causing complications. If you do decide to lockdown, don't open the bator after you lockdown. Give them at least until day 23 to hatch.
    Good Luck!

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Double check the date you set them, to early , still turn for 2 more days. They can hatch early ,but not at 17 days....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by