Case of Bad Teen Mom - why aren't my pullets sitting on their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DangerChickenHouse, Jan 8, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I only have young Buff Orp (actually they are mutts) girls that just started laying around Christmas time. However, they have zero interest on sitting on their eggs. Is this normal?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    yep, they will only sit on eggs when they are broody. If they just started laying, they are probably not broody. And not all breeds are very broody.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It is my understanding that the instinct to actually sit on the eggs and try to hatch them has been mostly selected out of most chicken breeds. In fact a breed that "goes broody" regularly is considered less desirable if your goal is to have lots of eggs because once they go broody, they stop laying more.

I don't have experience in this area, but from reading I've learned that most folks who want their fertilized eggs to hatch either collect them for an incubator or purchase a "broody hen" like a Cochin or Silky who will sit on and hatch other chicken's eggs.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They may never go broody or they may go broody late in life. I've had hens over two years old go broody for the first time. It's highly individual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by