Cash strapped farmers....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Lots of them already hurting in this area...

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Others predict the opposite effect, pushing money from the private market to the exchanges and creating more competition that will benefit farmers

Everybody is afraid of change. Even more so when there are nay-sayers out there pushing fear.
    Farmers have been cash-strapped for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's time to overhaul the way farming is financed so the banks aren't reaping all the profits.

3 words: GRASS FED BEEF
    Stop worrying about the price of corn, and do what is healthy for the animals!​

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So far, the hopey changy thing isn't happening for me....

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    can someone explain this in plain english

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm not sure exactly how far the "plight" goes back, but it seems like farmers have been struggling since at least the Dust Bowl. THIS ISN'T NEW. Maybe we should have a talk with the people that encourage the use of fossil fuels, and get them OUT of farming all together.

This pretty much says it all:
    Dear President-elect Barack Obama,

As President of Farm Aid, I'd like to take this opportunity to whole-heartedly congratulate you on your historic victory. I'd also like to offer you every resource that Farm Aid has available to assist you in creating a new farm and food policy that supports a sustainable family farm system of agriculture.

I started Farm Aid in 1985 when family farmers were being forced off their land as a result of federal policy that paved the way for industrial agriculture. This shift replaced independent family farmers with factory farms that have wreaked havoc on our communities, our environment and our public health.

There is broad agreement that our farm and food system needs to be drastically reworked. The good news is that the work of building an alternative to the industrial food system is well underway and Farm Aid is proud to have been a leader in this work, something we call the Good Food Movement. The Good Food Movement has grown and thrived almost entirely without the support of the federal government. However, now is the right moment for the leadership of our country to take a role in this important movement. In fact the future of our economy, our environment and our health demand it.

Our family farmers are a national resource with incredible potential to be the protagonists in solving the challenges we currently face. Family farmers are on the cutting edge of thriving local food systems and economies, alternative energy production and environmental stewardship. Family farmers are marketing the fruits of their labor close-to-home at farm stands, farmers markets and Community Supported Agriculture programs (CSAs), helping local money to circulate in local communities where it can do the most good. Family farmers are growing green energy and harnessing the power of the sun and wind. They are transitioning to sustainable production methods to grow food that is good for our health and our planet. These steps are strengthening our local economies, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels, protecting our natural resources and increasing our national security.
    As the national organization working on behalf of family farmers for the last 23 years, Farm Aid has helped family farmers stay on the land, organized communities to fight factory farms in their own backyards, and educated eaters about the choices they can make to guarantee healthy, fresh food from family farms. Over our history, we have grown, partnered with, and sustained a network of more than four hundred grassroots farm and food organizations across the nation. As you begin to implement programs to support a family farm system of agriculture, Farm Aid and our vast resource network is here to work with you.

Now is the time for our country to recognize and call on family farmers' ingenuity, strength and value to our past and our future. We can have strong local economies, green energy, a clean environment, healthy citizens and good food—all of these start with family farmers. I look forward to working with you to make this vision of a family farm system of agriculture a reality.

Stay Strong and Positive,

Willie Nelson
    President

Community
    Take Action
    Farm Aid Polls
    Newsletter
    Become a Member
    Farm Aid Blog
    Farm Aid Twitter
    Farm Aid Facebook
    Farm Aid Youtube
    HOMEGROWN
    Farm Aid 25: Growing Hope for America

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Privacy Policy | [​IMG] Copyright 2010 Farm AidForward Page to a Friend |Farm Aid Login |Contact UsSite by ISITE Design

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Apparently not all chicken people want to know where their food comes from.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

I think most chicken people know where their food comes from, I just don't know if this discussion could take place without politics playing a part and we have all seen how those threads end. [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    When first homesteading it was with 160 acres to try and make a living. Nowadays a family of 4 needs at least 3000 acres to try to make a living.

As for the bust in the 80's there were several factors there. ARM were a big factor. Family almost lost our place due to that.
    Export market was suddenly cut. So many different things. I'm not pointing a finger so no politics here.

yes I have people say to me that as farmers we are rich. Land rich, cash poor is a better description. My MIL would get these people by telling them she would pay them with a bucket of dirt since it was $300 an acre crop land dirt.

Have one friend who always complains about "rich" farmers in her area, but we always wonder if she really knows the truth.

75% of our income goes back into our farm. Equipment, seed, insurance (a must have in case of hail), repairs, fuel, oil, spraying, harvesting the crop, repairs etc. I can go on forever.
    then we get $3.00 a bushel for our wheat crop.
    One bushel makes 73 loaves of bread. we're not making a lot on that that.

For some guys to break even and to make some money to pay off the debt owed to the bank wheat needs to be at $10 a bushel.

for us personally speaking. A newer used combine. Replace a grain bin that is going down hill. A used grain vac.
    Aw the stuff dreams are made of.

JMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by