Cast Iron Dutch Oven

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
WOOO HOOO Finally getting one of these. Granted it won't be one of the $300 ones but I'm sure it will work just fine.

Its 6.5qt and ceramic lined.

Tips?
Advice?
RECIPES?!?!? I'm looking for mostly chicken but I will gratefully take any recipe you are willing to write.

TIA

I use mine all the time. I have three of them - all different sizes. Absolutely great for soups, chili, pot roasts, roast chicken. You'll love it!

I just splurged on a Staub Coq au Vin cocotte, with the cool metal rooster handle. It's also enameled cast iron. Can't wait to use it! Apparently any braising, stew, etc. recipe will work for these. Can't decide what to break it in with though.
smile.png

Robin

maybe just remember that the whole pan including the handles get hot no matter what you are doing. It will stay hot longer than other kind of pans too.

I have two, a dutch oven with lid and a huge roasting pan with lid. It's what I cook with/in. Love 'em. Like cast iron pans (not enameled) they distribute heat evenly so things tend not to burn as easily as with a regular pan.
My most used pan is my 6 quart Descoware dutch oven, hands down my "desert island" pan (if I had to chose only one pan to take to a desert island it would be this one). Amen to enabled cast iron cookware. Expensive but worth it.

I've got chili simmering in mine right now! It's a 3.75 qt. Le Creuset French oven that I got a great deal on when I worked at a retail gourmet store. It is black exterior, beige enamel interior. If it ever goes missing, my mother would be a prime suspect. She keeps hinting that she would like one of her own, but she can afford to buy one easier than I can.

Later today I'm going to make a pot roast with a chuck roast, potatoes, onions, carrots and a can of Golden Mushroom soup, which is actually a pretty good soup to cook with. I've gotten away from most of my older recipes that use canned soup. This pot is also my go to pot for spaghetti sauce, chicken 'n dumplings, soups, beef or pork stews, etc. I think it would be my "desert island" pot also!

I made this soup earlier this week:

Butternut Squash Soup

1 TB unsalted butter or olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 butternut squash (about 2-2 1/2 pounds) peeled, seeded, and chopped (5 cups) or baked as below
1 tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and chopped
12 whole almonds (I do not add the almonds)
5 cups chicken stock
1/2 t. dried marjoram or 1 1/2 t. fresh chopped
1/2 to 1 1/2 t. curry powder
1 t. or more brown sugar (opt. but I always add)
1/2 cup dry white wine

Melt butter or oil over low heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook about 20 minutes or until squash is tender. (Or, add in baked squash and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes). Taste for added salt.
Buzz in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth or carefully transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
Serve hot. Crunchy homemade bread croûtons are nice with this soup.

Note: I pre-bake my squash: half a medium butternut squash, scoop out the seeds and strings, lay cut sides down on a baking sheet and bake at 325 for 45 min. to an hour, until very tender. Cool, then scoop out the cooked squash flesh with a metal spoon. Add squash to the onion/apple mixture and proceed with the recipe to simmer with all the ingredients for 20-30 minutes.

Suggested variation: substitute an orange, peeled, seeded, and chopped for the apple.

Source: Recipes from the Night Kitchen by Sally Nirenberg.

Huron County Pork Stew

2 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
All-purpose flour, for dredging
4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
12 small white onions, peeled
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup diced celery
4 Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored), diced
1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup apple cider
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Trim the pork of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the pork cubes in the flour. Spread the pork cubes out on a board to allow flour to dry while you render the bacon.

Place bacon in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium heat and saute until it begins to render its fat. Brown all the pork cubes on all sides, a few at a time. Remove pork from the pan and reserve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat.

Place the onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the pan and saute until the onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer, loosely covered, for 1 hour or until the pork is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Serve with hot cornbread or biscuits.

Note: If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk 1/2 cup of the sauce together with 1 or 2 tablespoons flour.
Stir this mixture back into the Dutch oven and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and the flour is cooked.

Serves 6
Source: John Hadamuscin's Enchanted Evenings

Back
Top Bottom