cast iron pan??

todd walker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
E TX,Mabank
I got a set of pans for x-mass,some one said I need to season them before I can use and not to wash with soap?????
What do I do?? the only pan I plan on using is the griddle.
So how do you season a pan?
How do I get clean without soap?

thanks

you season it by using it... coat pan with oil before use and as you use it, it will become seasoned...

as for cleaning, wipe it with a damp towel, if there is a stubborn stain or stuck on food make a paste of baking soda and water and use it as an abrasive then wipe with a dish towel.

when you store the pan in between uses lightly coat the pan with oil, like canola oil. this will prevent rusting

Last edited:
I am assuming that you are speaking of CAST IRON COOKWARE??? If so, the first step is to clean well. You can wash it in dishwater with soap, just rinse well. Dry with papertowels or a regular towel, set on burner of stove on low to finish drying so it doesn't rust. After completely dry, take some crisco or olive oil and rub it into the entire pan very well, it doesn't take very much. Put inside oven set on about 200 over night. I will feel a little sticky when you are through and it will be much darker than when you started. You can wash your cast iron whenever you need to, but always remember to dry completely by heating a little on stove top to prevent rust. You may have to reseason your pans a couple of times at first, but then they should be fine for a year or better. (If you burn something in it that you cannot get off without using an sos pad or something really coarse, you can put it in your self cleaning oven during the cleaning process and after it cools, wipe the dust out of the pan and reseason it.)

Ditto

but if you do wash them with detergent, do not let them soak in water and do not use abrasives like brillo if you dont have to. My gram has cast iron pans more than 40 years old, when ever she uses the oven she puts the cast iron in with a little oil on them when the oven is cooling and nothing ever sticks. Also helpful to fry a good batch of bacon in them occasionally.

Last edited:
cast iron is the only thing I use
You want to season it by applying a THIN coating of oil, and heating it up. I have gotten the best seasoning results by using butter to make grilled cheese sandwiches. The thin coat of oil that is heated, cooled, then repeated, is the way that the pan becomes seasoned. Basically seasoning is a build up of carbon on the metal, it becomes naturally smooth and non-stick. Believe it or not, this is the same process that is used for the pizza screens (pans we cook pizza on) at Papa John's.
Use vegetable oil or butter, coconut oil or even Crisco, but do NOT use olive oil! Olive oil becomes sticky for some reason.

I think the trick is mainly to not wash it off. Never use soap. Only use water when necessary, I mainly use a plastic scraper to clean stubborn stuff off, and always dry the pan thoroughly by heating it so that it doesn't rust. The heat kills the germs. Lightly oil it after it's dry. This is especially important for new pans or ones that won't be used for a while.
(If you're gonna turn around and fry bacon in it tomorrow morning then it's not so important to oil the pan the night before.)

If you get something really stuck, burn it off (preferably outside, bbq grill or bonfire) and re-season the pan.

Also don't forget to use a pot holder or towel because the handles heat up just as hot as the rest of the pan!

I use mostly cast iron too and a couple of the pans I've been using for 20+ years. I keep a 2 burner cast iron griddle on my stove at all times which is great when making tortillas.

When your pans are well seasoned you'll be able to make pancakes, pan roast potatoes or even make cornbread and biscuits w/o having to oil the pan.

What I did was everytime I had the oven on, my new cast iron would go in the oven after whatever I was baking came out. Then I would turn the oven off and just let the pan stay in overnight.

Someone mentioned putting it on a burner to dry...that's the only way I dry my cast iron.....just don't forget about it like i have.
roll.png

...the plastic pan scrapper works well for cleaning too. The only time I wash the pan is if something is stuck on or if I used strongly flavored food. Most of the time I just wipe it out with a paper towel.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have been told no its not a good idea because then the chemicals will also seep into the pan

I am afraid to use my cast iron pans... they are sitting in a box rusting because i have a glass top stove and I am afraid the top will get broken by one of these accidentally slipping

Don't use the spray stuff!!! It will ruin your pans.
Only use butter, crisco or lard and oils. I wipe mine clean and then rinse them well with hot water for a minute or two before drying on the stove. I only use cast iorn cookware as the food tastes much better and it cooks more evenly.

I have a small cornbread pan that was my Great Grandmothers! It is my favorite and completely non-stick and never fail for perfect cornbread.
smile.png
It is around 120 years old!

Back
Top Bottom