"castaway" chick in purchased eggs - Please help identify!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JestersEye, May 19, 2010.

1. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I purchased fertilized chicken eggs from a BYC member who also sells eggs on eBay, and was supposed to get Blue Andalusians and Blue Orpingtons. Anyway, one of the chicks that hatched out a bit late is having some difficulties... Its left leg and foot appeared to be a bit twisted, so I started taping it straight and securing the toes with a small piece of cardboard and medical tape. That seems to have helped quite a bit, but it still can't walk very well. It's legs seem kinda weak and it acts tired a lot.

Besides that, the chick is very obviously NOT one of the breeds that I had ordered. It looks completely different from any of its hatch mates, as well as any of the other chicks I've ever hatched, with a golden brown coloring and "chipmunk" stripes on its back. I've also started becoming concerned that it may be malnourished because it isn't growing like the other chicks in the brooder, who are now at least twice the size of this little chick (at 3 days old).

My question to all of you is: What the heck breed or species is this chick??? I have my own suspicions after doing some research on the internet, but I want confirmation from the "experts" on BYC, to be sure. One more clue I can give you is that my son and I had noticed that two of the eggs we put into the incubator had appeared much more rounded than we'd ever seen from our own flock, but we just assumed they were unique occurrences. Looking back, I'm wondering if I should've questioned their unusual shape more fully before incubating.

Here's a picture of the chick in question... What do you think it is?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    Looks a lot like my EE's but I am no expert....

3. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Quote:That was my first thought, too... but now I'm wondering if it could be something else, because of its smaller size. It's only about half the size of the other chicks that were hatched around the same time. I'm actually beginning to wonder if it's even a chicken at all?!

4. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    yes it is a chicken, looks like an EE, could possibly be a bantam if it is that much smaller than the others, make sure it has food, water and warmth and if it is supposed to live it will.

5. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
  6. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Quote:That's exactly what I was wondering?! It looks VERY similar to me and to my husband! (It even sits back on its hocks most of the time, just like the one in this picture.)

I've already emailed the breeder to ask if she has Bobwhite Quail on her farm. I don't understand how she could have sent me the wrong eggs, but obviously this is NOT a Blue Andy or a Blue Orp chick. I wonder if Bobwhite Quail have rounded eggs?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
  8. JestersEye

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Quote:It's hard to tell for sure, but a few of the eggs near the top middle look an awful lot like the shape we saw... very squat and rounded around the middle, except for a slight "nosecone" that gave the only indication of an egg shape.

9. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Not a quail, their eggs are about the size of a nickle. Could be any one of the breeds with striped (wild ) colored chicks (ss, welsummer, rir, ee) there are a lot, email the seller and ask what else she has, she may have rounded out the order, or added different breed extras.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not a RIR. Could be EE, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex or maybe a couple others who start out like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by