Castles, ruins and gatehouses... Pic heavy.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I've been photo exploring some of the wonderful castles, ruins and gatehouses of Ireland and a few members have asked me for pics. So I though I'd put them all here so you lovers of old buildings can enjoy them too. I've taken many, many pics, but these are some of my favourites. I will add more pics to this thread as I discover more of these magical places.

Castle ruin, Kealkill, Co Cork

One of many mysterious "baby castles" on Co Cork coast line. This one is near Sandy Cove, Co Cork. There is another within sight of this one, but unfortunately it's on private land and we haven't been able to get near.

Gatehouse to private estate, on route to Castletownbere, Co Cork

Castle ruin, Wicklow, Co Wicklow

Ruin by the roadside, Co Sligo

Tower, Co Sligo

Ruin near Durrus, Co Cork

Gatehouse of private estate, Co Kerry

Abandoned house Co Kerry

Love your pics! I'd love to go to Ireland someday, but I will never make it there. I can take my journey through your pics!! Keep 'em coming!
clap.gif
pop.gif

OMG Sumi.... this is my DH dream to go and just visit all the castles he can and he wants to buy one!!! LMAO that wont happen!!

HOWEVER...
I could see living in this beauty!! WOW

I am so happy for you Sumi!!! WONDERFUL!!
hugs.gif

Sumi has sent me so many wonderful pictures on her new adventure in Ireland. I'm thrilled she decided to post a photo pictorial for us all! Great idea and awesome pictures, my friend. That gate house is the coolest thing.

Last edited:
OMG Sumi.... this is my DH dream to go and just visit all the castles he can and he wants to buy one!!! LMAO that wont happen!!

HOWEVER...
I could see living in this beauty!! WOW

I am so happy for you Sumi!!! WONDERFUL!!
hugs.gif
Sally, don't tell your DH, but I saw a small castle for sale here for E75 000. My DH is worried... I LOVE castles.

Sumi has sent me so many wonderful pictures on her new adventure in Ireland. I'm thrilled she decided to post a photo pictorial for us all! Great idea and awesome pictures, my friend. That gate house is the coolest thing.
Isn't it? I love these gatehouses. I can't wait for Summer when more of these buildings and some of the bigger castles will be open to the public. Blarney castle is top of the list, but there is no way I'm kissing that stone
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Some of my favourite parts of these buildings are the windows. I like the contrast and I must admit, I have a thing about windows
smile.png

The first 2 were from inside the Co Kerry gate house (the door was open, so I did a little exploring) the rest was mostly from a collection of abandoned buildings we discovered in Co Kerry. A local fisherman told us they were build around 1912. One of the buildings he said was the first co-op in Ireland and the remainder was part of a little private hospital. The hospital only had one patient, a priest who fell of his bike when he cycled past, before the owner ran out of money and abandoned the project and the buildings.

Back
Top Bottom