Castrated Roos...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spydrworks, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Are they noisy too?

Just curious. Thanks.

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    They can do that??!!

3. Spydrworks

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Yes they can!!...LOL!! I just don't remember if it keeps them from crowing or not.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    It depends on when you do it. If as rooster is castrated (caponized) before he starts crowing he will probably never do it, but if he is caponized after he has already crowed it is likely he will continue crow. I'd like to convince you not to caponize, its very dangerous and expensive if you want it done correctly. There was just post about it and how the rooster bled to death. So sad.

5. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

That'd be me!! If they are young and it is done , they won't crow. My rooster was about 5 months and the vet said he would continue to crow. Don't get them done at a late age, no matter how attached you are to him. The testes are along his back and very close to a major blood vessel, which if nicked can be hard to stop the bleeding. I knew the risks, but went ahead anyway. I thought it wouldn't happen, but it did. I know that some farmers do it themselves and Sears used to sell a kit. The instructions say to practice on a dead bird first. But, just don't do what I did. Merry

6. Spydrworks

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    Don't worry. I don't have any roos. Just a single lone hen. Was just curious about it. Thanks for the info. I might get a roo after I move. As for now...it's just Chickie and I until a new hen arrives in July.

7. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    wow I had no clue u could even do that to a bird...wierd

1 person likes this.
  8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Henrietta,
    A roosters' testes are inside their bodies. That is why it is difficult to caponize them. Not recommened unless absolute necessary.

9. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I had three capons at one point and they were all very sweet birds, but they all crowed. The surgery is risky and expensive to do unless it's done at a very early age.

10. chelsiemom

chelsiemom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    Yucaipa, CA
    Sorry you lost your guy...Kudos for trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by