Castration

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Gomes Bantams, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Gomes Bantams

Gomes Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, who here knows how to castrate a bull? If so, please explain.
    My bulls need to be Castrated. Don't want to but need to. Thanks

2. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    If its a adult bull call the vet out. My vet charges me $80 bucks and well worth it, he also guarantees the bull wont bleed out and die. I am guessing your bull is getting a little snotty or wont stay home.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Call a vet... you dont want to do it wrong and harm him... OR call a local farm and ask if the farmer knows how to do it/ will do it and you'll pay them..

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Depends on how big he is. I banded our 6 month olds with no problem. We recently acquired another bull that is too large for my bander. Our vet will charge us $2 to sedate and $10 to band.

5. bayvistafarm

bayvistafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a tool that is big enough to band mature bulls. Same thing really as the one that does day olds, but does a bigger bull. A tetnas shot is a good idea tho.. in an older animal. We got ours from Jeffers.

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If they are young enough and small enough you can band them yourself with the tool described above. Make sure they have both dropped.
    The easiest way for me to work on a bigger animal here is to put them between a wall and the barn gate. Have someone strong to hold the gate against them. Then using the elasticator put the band on them making sure it is up against the belly and that both testies are inside of the band.
    If they are young it's pretty easy. Especially bottle babies. Practice putting a band on someones fingers or something like that so you get the feel for how the band releases. I start petting them all over and rubbing their bellies so they are used to it. Usually I can band them with them just standing next to me. But get used to how the elasticator works before you try to do it. If they are already grown it's a whole other story!!!!
    I agree, give them a tetnus shot first.
    Good Luck. Don't get hurt!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Just make SURE that you REALLY know what you are doing... or you can REALLY harm and HURT the animal...

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to mention get badly injured yourself. I'm assuming that you've never even seen it done. If that's the case I suggest you at least watch/assist someone else before attempting to do it yourself. It's not that difficult, especially if it's a young bull, but there is a technique to it.

9. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

How many do you have to do? How old are they? You can ask at your feed store if they know someone who could teach and help you so you learn the right way to do it. Of if that are too old and you need to get the vet out. Hope this helps. Let us know what you are doing and how it goes.

Maye

10. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    If you're planning on doing it yourself I highly recommend this bander for the bigger guys http://www.nobull.net/bander/SBsummary.htmlj This is what our vet used. Less invasive than surgically castrating them. Of course you'll need to make sure they're utd on tetanus and you'll have to sedate him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by