Casualties of the heat!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gmendoza, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    We lost two coturnix quail from the heat yesterday. One was the roo.DW found them stiff as boards. [​IMG] This morning I put all the quail into the big coop with the chickens,guinea,and turkeys.At least they will be low to the ground and would stand a better chance until this heat staves off. [​IMG]

Lil man jr. (bob bird) is still around.now he has 4 women to keep with in the big coop. [​IMG]

Anyone else have casualties from this intense heatwave??? [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Sorry about the two you lost. [​IMG]
    Our heat finally broke yesterday afternoon/evening after storms blew through! [​IMG] Dropped ten degrees over an hour period, and kept dropping. I just have a small flock and actually brought them into the kitchen yesterday before noon (all except the roo who would have none of it). But that wouldn't have been an option for decent sized flocks..

3. I was JUST talking to someone about this! I lost a few chickens from heat exhaustion last summer. I'll told you what I told them: If you should see a chicken in distress(laying on it's side, panting horribly and listless), get it it indoors immediately. This sounds crazy, but it works--stick cold packs or bags of ice under both wings. Hottest part of a chicken's body is under the wings. Do not let them drink or give them fluids when they're over-heated as this often causes them to throw up and they can aspirate easily. Once you get them cooled down(usually take about 20 minutes), just move them to a cool spot in the house to cool off for a few hours before taking them back out. I got so tired of chickens(especially my silkies) over heating(and had a couple die) last summer. It's crazy how they can endure extreme cold, but the heat can do them in!!! [​IMG]

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    [email protected]@2four :

I was JUST talking to someone about this! I lost a few chickens from heat exhaustion last summer. I'll told you what I told them: If you should see a chicken in distress(laying on it's side, panting horribly and listless), get it it indoors immediately. This sounds crazy, but it works--stick cold packs or bags of ice under both wings. Hottest part of a chicken's body is under the wings. Do not let them drink or give them fluids when they're over-heated as this often causes them to throw up and they can aspirate easily. Once you get them cooled down(usually take about 20 minutes), just move them to a cool spot in the house to cool off for a few hours before taking them back out. I got so tired of chickens(especially my silkies) over heating(and had a couple die) last summer. It's crazy how they can endure extreme cold, but the heat can do them in!!! [​IMG]

What we do if we see one in distress is we bring them into my lab/bathroom and put a hospital cage next to the airvent.They come out good after an hour or two,but usually we keep them in overnight. Its not DW 's fault. She was ultra-dilligent yesterday. She was checking on them every hour. Just happens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by