Cat attached!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twresamarie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Yes, she's ready and won't be hurt! Outdoor flock!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, she could be hurt by the others! Indoor pet!

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Who wants to send me a chicken diaper?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. twresamarie

twresamarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Northern Florida
    Chick-a-doodle, she was dragged out of her own pen by a cat and her comb was chewed half off, and was left blind in one eye. She's doing good now! Will cuddle for hours!
    Will her (9 birds) flock harm her if we put her back, it's been a week now? She's not walking in circles any more, but leans when walking, eating and puts her good eye up when sleeping. She will follow you around with that one good eye. We've had her in the house since, but last 2days, has really stated walking around and pecking the floor.
    I want to get her a big bird cage so she can stay indoors, hubby wants her out side, but i think the male and other hens with peck her down even more.
    What do you guys think? Who can make me a chicken diaper lol, i tried but ummmm i forgot, i can't sew so is just a ball of tread and bloody fingerprints! .
    Thanks

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    This is my opinion, if she is well enough to go back with the flock then you should start "re-introducing" her. If you just put her back in she will be most likely attacked. One of the best ways is a "see - but - don't - touch" method" place her in a pen, kennel, etc and put her near the flock so they can see and talk with one another but no harm can come to anyone. Since it's only been a week, the faster you get her interacting with them the better.
    A sole or lonely chicken is not always the happiest, since they are flock animals, they depend and need one another to have happy productive lives.
    If you can successfully reintegrate her I think that would be the best[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1015820/reintegration-by-supervised-visits#post_15742910

1 person likes this.
  3. Sylie

Sylie Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    I agree with Wyorp Rock, supervised reintegration would be the best if that is possible. If it doesn't work in the end you could get creative with their run space. When I couldn't get a reintegration work between my RIR's and PBR's I added a fence to part of the run so that the RIR's had their own space, at night I let the PBR's go into the coop to roost and then after they were all settled I let the RIR's in. Just before it got light in the morning, as they were just starting to stir I snatched the RIR's and put them in their run for the day. It was a lot of hassle for me but it worked very well on the "no fighting" end of things. Just an idea. But honestly, I think the supervised reintegration will work. I just had a couple of nasty, cranky RiR's lol. Good luck!

2 people like this.
  4. twresamarie

Apr 7, 2016
    Northern Florida
    Well what we did was this. She stayed in the house for about a week, cuddling & looking scared. Letting me tend to get wounds. She was still walking in circles at that time. Then we noticed she was walking steadier, not bumping into much. So we let her out side, not around the flock but where they could see her. Soon enough she was getting closr to them during the day, ant spending her night inside with us. She would walk inside on get own and go to bed lol. Then one night we didn't have the door open & she didn't "knock". She had found her pecking order again, she's slept in the coop since! She likes to be petted, at times lol! She'll follow you til you bend over and rub her neck and feathers. ...then run off before the others see lol! Thank you for the advice!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    so glad your story has a happy ending [​IMG] I was[​IMG] worried about how it might turn out.

6. twresamarie

Apr 7, 2016
    Northern Florida
    Thank you! I'll have to proof read before I post again lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by