Cat attack/ Opening and closing mouth?

ChickenLover901

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
My chicken was attacked yesterday evening by what we believe was one of our cats, she seems ok except she keeps opening and closing her mouth and sticking out her neck. We think it was a cat attack because her feathers were all messed up and we have had chickens attacked by cats before and it looked very similar. We gave her some sugar water through a syringe and she seemed to swallow it good but still is doing the opening and closing of her mouth, it's been going on ever since we found her laying in the front yard after she was attacked. She also can't make any noise at all and can't stand very well. We checked her for cuts and scratch marks but couldn't find any, she is a pet chicken and we can't get her to a vet. Any suggestions?????

Hmm, is she a full grown hen?normaly a cat wouldn't attack a full grown hen.

Is she gasping for air?if so, it may be best to put her to sleep if she has trouble breathing.

I hope someone with more knowledge then me comes and helps.

@TwoCrows?

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Always remember to be wary of your cats whereabouts. Though they're domesticated, they still hunt using tactics similar to wild cats which can get pretty intense. A hen may end up with severe internal injuries after an attack, yet no external bleeding because the cat failed to pierce the hen's skin through a coat of feathers. Domestic cats usually have less sharp claws and teeth than their wild counterparts which makes their damage less obvious.
Very sorry for your loss. :/

Back
Top Bottom