Cat attack!

Starling5767

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
My neighbors cat was chasing my chickens yesterday. This is a new experience to me as I have never seen a cat mess with full grown large chicken. As a former song bird rehabilitator I know that even a small cat scratch or cat bite is almost always deadly to a bird unless it is given antibiotics within 24 hours. Does anyone know if chickens are as susceptible? I do not think the cat actually touched any of the chickens but I can't be 100% sure.

I'm sorry! Do your chickens free range, or did the cat get in your pen? You'll have to do something about it. But your neighbor probably doesn't want to coop up the cat. Maybe if you see the cat chasing the chickens, run out there, go pssssssst, and chase/kick it back to his house. If it doesn't stop in a few times, I would tell your neighbor about. Make sure the cat is getting food, because if it is hungry, then it will probably try to eat your chickens. Odd that it just now started doing it.

Hi there and Thank you for your reply! I put my girls out into a fenced in back yard (due to the same neighbors chicken killing dog) about 4-5 hours a day. The neighbors take good care of their cat but they won't keep it in. The cat knows it is not welcome at our house. I caught it killing song birds so every time it came over in the beginning I sprayed it with the hose (felt kind of bad about that but I wanted to get the point across) The cat doesn't come by near as much these days and if she sees us or even sees my pickup pull in she hightails it home. She must remember being "watered". lol.

I would get a super soaker and let it have it every single time ya see it. It won't take long before it will run at the sight of ya....I use a BB gun, but only shoot towards the neighbors cats....after several times of doing this and chasing it back to their property all I have to do now is step outside and say in a rough voice Ya better Get somewhere....and they haul rump all the way back to the neighbors.

This sounds like another situation for electric fencing! Either wires or rope very close together (as for foxes) or electrified poultry netting, baited with yummy stuff at first.
Or, eliminate the cat. Few fed housecats, or any cat, will go after adult chickens. Chicks, yes, but big birds are just too big for most cats to tackle.
Good luck with your problem. Mary

Last edited:
I have a live trap. I could easily trap the cat, however, there is no humane society in my county. :( Animal control won't even take cats.

Back
Top Bottom