Cat attack.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LorenMcHugh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LorenMcHugh

LorenMcHugh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    I'm pretty sure my cat gave my 8 month old RIR a 1inch gash on her neck. Not sure how long she had it...only a couple days at the most. I cleaned it with peroxide and saline and put antibiotic ointment on it. She was dirt bathing yesterday a few hours after I cleaned it. I checked her today and it looks pretty dry and hopefully will start healing. She is still eating and laying and doesn't seem bothered by it. Should I do more or just keep an eye on it. The cat is gonna find a new home too...

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    In my experience, chickens are remarkably good at healing from major wounds like that. I would just clean it again every so often and keep an eye on it for signs of infection. Giving her some more antibiotics certainly wouldn't hurt either.

3. LorenMcHugh

LorenMcHugh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks....she's lost some feathers too..not just around the wound. Is it just stress? She seems otherwise fine

4. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    You're welcome. That could be stress from the injury, but it is very likely that she is just molting. If it were stress, it would probably be manifesting itself in other ways in addition to the feather loss.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its probably because of stress. Stress can cause chickens to start molting, or go into an early molt. She's probably fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by