1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat behavior after trauma

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Jan 24, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mr. Yackers had a traumatic incident when our 3 year old choked him to the point where he evacuated his bowels. Since that time, he has been very clingy to me. And only me.

Very brief history: Robert is not our natural child, and his life has been unstable to say the least.

We now keep him away from the animals because he cannot yet connect life to the animal. He views them as toys.

Will this kitty ever stop climbing on me to the point he is in my HAIR???

2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Poor Kitty!! How long ago did this happen? No way could I tolerate the cat climbing me like that. I'd get a spray bottle and make sure he knows I am no longer on the list for potential climbing posts.

3. debilorrah

Quote:This was only about a week ago. I am tolerant about 60% of the time. HI JAMIE!!!!!

4. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:This was only about a week ago. I am tolerant about 60% of the time. HI JAMIE!!!!!

HI THERE!!! [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

HI THERE!!! [​IMG]

Long time no talk!!!! I will tolerate this with the cat for about another week I think, then start shoving him away ALL the time.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Wow that is scary, poor kitty. When I first moved into this house I brought my 2 cats with me. It was summer and I left the kitchen window open but it was screened. m one cat Minnie, was about 6 months old and I went out grocery shopping. When I got home I didn't right away see anything out of the ordinary until I went to the kitchen sink and noticed the screen was ripped off. the kitchen window to the ground outside is about 10 feet or so, not a huge distance for an agile cat. I did look for her in the house and couldn't find her. and I knew right then and there the cat fell out. I then heard the dogs growling and barking. I went outside to check things out and didn't see her or anything at all out of the ordinary.

I was worried sick, it was getting dark and she was not an outdoor cat, and she was a very timid kitty to begin with. it was about midnight when the dogs began barking and growling again from their dog pen. I went outside with my Dh and that is when I noticed the garage door was not down all the way it was about 2 feet from being closed. when I went in trough the side door, there was a big fox in the back of the garage trying to get inside a roll of lino we had purchased a week prior to put in the kitchen. I scared the fox, the lino was chewed and scratched, and I still couldn't see what it was going after, even though I was a little worried about what it might have been going after I lifted the lino and out fell my cat. she was missing fur on her back end and her tail was bleeding. she saw the vet the next day and got some shots.

Its been six years but she still is pretty clingy, though when I say enough she will stop. unfortunately this is what happens when the get that scared, and feel like you saved their life.

I can now leave the door wide open and she will not go anywhere near the door, in fact when I open the door she will run in the other room. as Opposed to my other cat who will take any chance she has to try and sneak out. and bring me back a pheasant or come back pregnant (only happened once, she had her babies and then that was it for her)but the bird catching is pretty good, she went after mallard last summer and we caught her in time...sigh....

7. debilorrah

Ema I would totally understand this if it were ME that saved him, but it wasn't!!! It was my daughter!!! I was at work. This cat is so stinkin sweet to start with and now it is overkill. I mean, I am not going to get rid of him or anything - I LOVE the cat. Him climbing so far onto me is annoying though.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can you make some safe places for him to rest, where he's near you, but not on you? For instance, my cat likes to be on the desk when I'm on the computer. He has cat furniture next to my craft table. He has a chair to nap in, next to my recliner and in the kitchen's work area.

He'd like to be held all day, too, but I can't do that. Sometimes I hold him, then put him in one of his spots. I'll look at him and talk to him when he's there, so he feels like he's getting attention.

You could also try passing him to other family members to hold briefly, just so that he gets used to not only being on you. I'd also try playing actively playing with him and having other family members play with him. Try those wand toys, maybe a laser pointer, maybe a fresh catnip toy. Get or plant a fresh pot of kitty grass. Those things can work to distract him. Try anything he might like that will divert his attention from you and break that cycle of only feeling worried and focusing on being on you.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

many three-year-olds don't understand that the moving stuffed animals is 'alive' and feels pain.

Not sure what you can do with 'Velcro' I'd give her a whole room that baby cant get into (petsmart has expensive meal gates with cat doors) and feed her and have her litter there and leave here there for short lengths of time.

We have this-(escape rooms) but we are teaching my one-year-old 'careful' and we guide his hand so that he can't hurt the critters.

(He's met pet rats, rabbits, cats, dogs, silkies, and Maran's chicks)

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Your cat needs you right now. Make time for that poor thing.

If you were choked to the point of evacuating YOUR bowels, you would want your mommie, too. AND a safe place away from the kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by