1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cat box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Saltiena, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I have several covered cat litter boxes I use for nests. One thing that needs to be done to make them work better from Mom & peeps is cutting the front out so that they can enter and leave easily. I also have a couple of solid sided pet carriers I use but these also need a small modification to keep the bedding inside.

They're great as far as cleaning and easy access when needed. I lift the top off one of mine when I've got a too determined broody that won't leave the nest. I take the top off and pick her up and dump her outside.

3. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    thanks

4. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Saltiena
    I can just see you dumping the hen out. and they can be cheap to buy too.

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I tried it once and had the problem that when my hen would step on the side to go in it would dump over. It wasn't heavy enough.

6. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    That is all I use. I have 13 laying in the big house & I have 4 boxes. As of now they only use 2 of them. I guess the other 2 must have cooties or something. LOL. It is funny to see 2 of them in the same box at the same time. Like said before they are so nice for cleaning & so easy to move if need be. When I have a broody I just take the box outside & lift off the top no hassel getting the chicken out then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by